Liability Insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottschop

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Fellow Capts,
Just purchased my vessel a couple of weeks ago and now am in search of some insurance. I've read some older posts on the subject, just looking for some current recommendations. Typing in "Dive Charter Boat Insurance" in Google is ridiculous.

Any recommendations would be awesome.

Thanks

I have been using insurance from Charter Lakes for the past several years and have been OK with the cost and service. They do a lot of commercial policies and you can get almost any type of coverage you want and they give you several ways to spread out the payments. Mine includes crew coverage and lots of passenger liability as well as all the other normal stuff. For diving they do exclude the divers once in the water and require a waiver to be signed, but that is fairly normal.

Years ago I was having trouble getting a reasonable policy and got to CL through NACO, National Association of Charterboat Operators. NACO cost like $50 a year to be a member and then you get a discount on the Charter Lakes policy and some other benifits including access to a very cheap CG drug program. I have found CL pretty easy to deal with and they have not generated any unexpected hassles for me. The Charter Lakes number is 800-879-2248 and no question they write florida boats as many of the NACO members are charter operators in FL.

If you need any other detail from me, just call or send me a messge.

Thanks Aky, really appreciate the info. I'll call today.

Just from my past exp. your gunna wanna look for liability ins. Ins company's will not insure divers in the water.. To get that ins. go threw your dive cert agency. They will ins you as long as you hold a valid dm or instructor card. There are a ton of commercial ins plains to pick threw. I looked at about 6-7 different company's and they were all within $50-$100 of each other. but as soon as you mention "diving activities" prepare to be told that you can not be helped. I looked for months and even called D.A.N. The only way "I know of", to get divers ins. is threw your cert agency.. Hope this helps

I seem to have miss-spoken The reply above mine has an interesting link. Looks worth checking into. :shocked2:

Hey tb, thanks for the info, wound up going with Witherspoon, they are the same guys that do my instructor insurance.

Got a 2008 Baha Cruisers 300GLE, with twin Suzuki 225's, stand up head with shower, wash down, etc. etc. I think she'll do, getting some aluminum benches and roll control installed now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom