Solved: LGBTQIA people. Is there a need for a sub-forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
El Hefe 612

El Hefe 612

Sings "Wheels on the Bus" Daily
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay… First, I know I'm new here. Second, I'm genuinely curious. And third, I read the entire 18-page thread of the "LGBTQ Divers?" question. As a openly gay, married man I would love to have a place to connect with other gay men, women, and like-minded individuals to discuss dive travel opportunities, to find dive buddies without having to worry about whether or not they might have a problem with me, and to feel comfortable talking about things that might impact us.

If possible, I'd like to have a board created under Non-Geographic Clubs called:

LGBTQIA Divers and Their Friends

I have spent the past week-and-a-half searching the internet (and this board) for such clubs, and I was surprised how lacking they were. It's been six years since the original question was posted in the thread referenced above. I know if I'm interested, that there are probably many others who would be too, but they may just be afraid to ask. Many of the responses in the thread above were not very understanding of what it is like living as an LGBTQIA individual in a predominantly heteronormative global society. Having such a space is not about excluding anyone, it's about having space where we don't have to worry about being who we are and can focus on what we love - diving (among many other things).

Thanks!

As a dive professional, I do a lot of lurking on the Women's Perspective forum. It has given me a lot of insight into the issues some of my students have and is also a resource I point my female students to as a place to get useful answers as opposed to my male guesses.

I suspect I would find a similar use for this proposed forum even though I would have very little useful to contribute.

I hate having to preface any request for a diving buddy or travel group with, "I'm gay. I hope that's not a problem." when looking to find an interested diving partner or travel opportunity.

If you asked that question of me I would question what you had planned other than diving. Imagine if I told a female dive buddy I was straight and hoped it wasn't a problem.
Maybe I have an overly optomistic view of the world but I still don't understand how anyone would care about sexual orientation in a diving scenario and I can't imagine how your preferences would be discovered without you announcing it. Sure, introducing your husband may be a clue but have you actually had anyone care?

I am not against your subforum but I don't think it is necessary either. If you want it to be a safe space it would have to be set up like the instructor forum where you would have to request access. Then I am guessing the audience would be pretty small. If access was not restricted it would not be a safe space. When I read here I don't read forums, I read new messages. I generally don't know if I am reading classifieds or women's forum. Maybe posting your issues in a more general forum would help educate people like me who don't understand what issues you face and I think we would all like to know if you were treated badly by a dive operator because someone who discriminates against one group would likely discriminate against another. You may find that you have more people on your side than you realize.

I am not against it, nor am I for it. For divers I think it is a non-issue. I did vote NO because I do not think it is needed.

Someones' sexual orientation, whether they be gay or not has zero impact on their diving skills, or how they experience diving as a diver.

This is much ado about nothing, in my opinion.

I am not against it, nor am I for it. For divers I think it is a non-issue. I did vote NO because I do not think it is needed.

Someones' sexual orientation, whether they be gay or not has zero impact on their diving skills, or how they experience diving as a diver.

This is much ado about nothing, in my opinion.

I could not agree more. I also voted "No" as in it is necessary. I have dived with a bunch of people both straight and gay and I have never been asked "Hey, I am gay, do you mind if I dive with you." As long as you have your **** together, I don't care if you are gay, straight, black, white, Russian, left-handed or a dwarf. I mean, who does that anyway? Do you walk into a restaurant and say "Hey, I am gay do mind if I dine here?" or do you go to a car dealership and say "Hey, I am transsexual, can I buy a car here? or go to a stadium to watch a game and ask the ticket taker "Hey, I am bi-curious, do you think I will be OK here?"

And if you and your boyfriend are on a dive boat with me and you give each other a little kissy kissy, I could not possibly care less. Now if you two were basically raping each other I would say the same thing to you that I would a hetero couple and that would be to get a room.

In the end, there is not a single dive boat that is going to turn your money away simply because you are LGBTQIEUDHE and there is also not a single BPW manufacturer that is build a "gay" BPW as it has nothing to do with diving.

As per the previous few comments, just because you don't care, doesn't mean it's a non-issue. Sadly, even here in the 21st century, discrimination still happens. It may not always be so blatant as turning someone away from a dive boat, but that doesn't mean it's not a real thing. Here at my university we have extensive training programs etc. because even when doing things like hiring new faculty, sometimes negative issues crop up surrounding this.

I initially voted no because I didn't see it as diving related, but then skimmed through all the categories I never browse and realized there were forum sections for women, teenagers, jokes & humor, fitness enthusiasts, etc.

I have changed my vote to yes - if people will utilize it and it helps them enjoy this sport more then I don't see any harm.

Last edited:
First off. Welcome.

Vote revised again to no. I'm not a person who enjoys clubs or non dive subforums and I generally just read new posts because I love diving. [the notable exception being the grumpy old men group as it's nice they have a porch they can sit together on ; )]

I'm thrilled that I've found this entire forum to be a having space where we can enjoy who we are and can focus on what we love - diving.

There are places strong hate and abuse are directed at members but I've not found this forum to be that kind of place. I hope as you spend more time with us you'll find this to be true for yourself.

There's only 3 situations where my anatomy or preferences have come into question as a diver. 1. Sizing and fitting a used wetsuit. 2. Sharing a bed with a fellow diver when there was a room shortage. 3. I'm single and would love a diving partner.

If others (25 yes votes so far) would like the subforum created and will enjoy it actively and feel it is an inclusive gesture and a safe place, I would support it's creation. I am personally not for it.

----context----
Even in this discussion I still don't find the nuances of my sexual preferences information that needs publicly shared. I don't march in parades either but have exes that do.
------

Dive happy!
Cameron

(Edited for new voting options)

Last edited:
I have also skimmed through numerous forum posts and topics since I made my post and I realized that not a single topic I looked at or post I read would be different if it was followed by "I am gay". In the end it really does not matter. If you want to have a little clubhouse to hang out in down the in the Dive Group section, more power to you.

Truthfully, the forum isn't about Captain Jim, or Doby, or Cameron, or Austin, or me. So whether we feel that such a forum is needed is kind of moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom