Let's, together, design the ultimate BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

.....1 Mold taken from any divers back, which will insure that perfect fit
Since you want to do 100% custom,,, I would design it so radical and off the wall that no one would think to follow you and then also price it triple above everyone else.
Why not make the CF wrap completely over the top of the shoulders and eliminate the shoulder straps? The CF could flex enough to allow the shell to hold all the weight. And if designed right you could even eliminate the waist strap since the CF would flex.
Why design the same thing everyone else has done for the last 70+ years?

3 Aluminum rolled and anodized into all webbing slots for chafe protection
If you're going to be co-curing metal into the slots, interlaminary titanium is a much better option than aluminim

Since you want to do 100% custom,,, I would design it so radical and off the wall that no one would think to follow you and then also price it triple above everyone else.
Why not make the CF wrap completely over the top of the shoulders and eliminate the shoulder straps? The CF could flex enough to allow the shell to hold all the weight. And if designed right you could even eliminate the waist strap since the CF would flex.
Why design the same thing everyone else has done for the last 70+ years?

I’m still here :happywave:
Just taking a break is all.
Hopefully this winter will be wet and cold and I’ll get my butt in the shop and get a few done.
If you do end up making some, I wouldn't mind being on the list, however I have to imagine you have a wait-list with hundreds of people ahead of me, hah!

If you do end up making some, I wouldn't mind being on the list, however I have to imagine you have a wait-list with hundreds of people ahead of me, hah!
Yeah there’s a few peope ahead of you, but we’ll get you taken care of.
Plan a trip out here some time to do a little shore diving and help me pick urchins plus a little wine tasting vacation and touring will put you right at the front of the list.
Just sayin’

Yeah there’s a few peope ahead of you, but we’ll get you taken care of.
Plan a trip out here some time to do a little shore diving and help me pick urchins plus a little wine tasting vacation and touring will put you right at the front of the list.
Just sayin’
Dam, didn't know you were a vacation planner too, that sounds real tempting. Perhaps when the summer rolls around!

Carbon fiber is a dumb material for backplates. Weight (actually density) is your friend, stiffness and strength requirements are minimal, and a lack of brittleness when impacted is vital as plates often get banged between tanks and other tanks/metal decks/concrete floors/rocks.

Carbon fiber is a dumb material for backplates.
CF material has come along ways from the stereo typical hard plate that chips easy. For example, did you know they are making running shoes with directional bending CF that helps you run faster but sturdier. Plus you can easily Multi-layer CF with other foam, aluminum, lead etc. What if the OP's custom design, molded in lead (or air pockets) in the exact placements needed for a cave diver to become perfectly horizontal & effortlessly. A 100% custom CF plate will never compete on cost with a steel plate. But if built superior to steel (like a titanium regulator) the dive market has proven some will pay triple the price. A diver may not want the performance, but there is a market for 100% custom designed gear that some people will buy.

I never said people wouldn't buy it, I said it's a dumb material for the purpose. Even if brittleness isn't a problem, in what way is it superior to stainless?

Likewise, titanium is a dumb material for regulators. You pay a lot of money to save a pound that you are going to have to add back in lead anyway. And it can destroy itself and potentially injure you if you inadvertently run a high O2 mix through it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom