Let's, together, design the ultimate BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishcandy

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a laminator. Think pre preg/resin infusion.

I have some ideas for the ultimate backplate.
I will be doing prototype work here starting Dec 1

Here are some features

1 Mold taken from any divers back, which will insure that perfect fit
2 Carbon fiber travel type (Single tank to start) with integrated weight designed into the lamination for trim.
3 Aluminum rolled and anodized into all webbing slots for chafe protection
4 quick connect gripping back pad.

I need any suggestions on the perfect backplate for single tank diving

Proper roll control is on the list now.

How to cut down on the tank roll? I feel, with a little bit of thought and conversation, we can come up with a better system then what's avail.

We design it, I'll make it!

Looking forward to hearing any thought and suggestions..

The roll bars on most wings works great. I wouldn't bother reinventing that wheel.

The roll bars on most wings works great. I wouldn't bother reinventing that wheel.
Agreed. The tank doesn't even touch the backplate.....

I'm a laminator. Think pre preg/resin infusion.

I have some ideas for the ultimate backplate.
I will be doing prototype work here starting Dec 1

Here are some features

1 Mold taken from any divers back, which will insure that perfect fit
2 Carbon fiber travel type (Single tank to start) with integrated weight designed into the lamination for trim.
3 Aluminum rolled and anodized into all webbing slots for chafe protection
4 quick connect gripping back pad.

I need any suggestions on the perfect backplate for single tank diving

Proper roll control is on the list now.

How to cut down on the tank roll? I feel, with a little bit of thought and conversation, we can come up with a better system then what's avail.

We design it, I'll make it!

Looking forward to hearing any thought and suggestions..
I'd start with looking at the VOIT snugpack (and the aqualung and dacor similar backpacks). I believe they were the original inspiration for @Eric Sedletzky 's Freedom Plate. With a molded plate like it sounds like you want to do it shouldn't be a big deal for it to have a bit of a form fit curve where the tank sits. Mostly, though, I think it is a case of re-inventing the wheel..... For a travel plate, how it packs (not just weight, but shape too) matters, making a VDH style plate or soft plate the best options. If it isn't for travel, the weight isn't really the issue and metal suits most people better.

Respectfully,

james

No I want the tank with me not following me so I have these made for everything plate

50 033 (1).JPG

I was about to mention freedom-plate. Unfortunately, they're VERY hard to come by, and not being made anymore since I last checked.

As a sidemount diver, I currently use a semi flexible/rigid nylon backplate. Although it might be fun to try a different design, if it's designed in such a way that it doesn't impede flexibility.

A built-in carry handle, like on the old Blow Moulded Backpack,
1667602543597.png
1667602607509.png

or the new Scubapro S-Tek would be nice... 👊

I was about to mention freedom-plate. Unfortunately, they're VERY hard to come by, and not being made anymore since I last checked.

As a sidemount diver, I currently use a semi flexible/rigid nylon backplate. Although it might be fun to try a different design, if it's designed in such a way that it doesn't impede flexibility.
I’m still here :happywave:
Just taking a break is all.
Hopefully this winter will be wet and cold and I’ll get my butt in the shop and get a few done.

Back
Top Bottom