Lets see what happens with this statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rec Diver:
IMHO, you are full of crap!
I'd love to see your rig.. with the spare brain, eyes, and legs strapped onto it...

:11:

JeffG:
I did and I still don't see where that makes Pants full of crap. (There got to be a joke in that somewhere)
His perception of the buddy system is the "additional resources available". Doesn't your buddy need those resources? To think that the equipment your buddy has decended with is an extra resource for you to use at your leisure is crap. You would be better buddy if you were self reliant. Then your buddy would not be stressed out when you had a problem.

And you do know what they say about Stats right?

Yes i do. Our world is built around them.

pants!:
I'd love to see your rig.. with the spare brain, eyes, and legs strapped onto it...

:11:

Your are more than welcome to dive with me at any time.

Rec Diver:
Your are more than welcome to dive with me at any time.
An excellent idea ... and I know if I lived closer, I would. If more of us would dive together, I think a lot of these discussions would be more productive ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Two heads are better than one...

Thinking that you're smart enough and perceptive enough and strong never to make a mistake that a good trustworthy teammate could help with just smacks of hubris to me.

NWGratefulDiver:
An excellent idea ... and I know if I lived closer, I would. If more of us would dive together, I think a lot of these discussions would be more productive ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I absolutely agree!

pants!:
Two heads are better than one...

Thinking that you're smart enough and perceptive enough and strong never to make a mistake that a good trustworthy teammate could help with just smacks of hubris to me.

It is not a matter of being smart enough, perceptive enough, or strong enough. It is a matter of being well trained, geared appropriately, and knowing your limitations. It is a matter of planning your dive and diving your plan. It is about NOT taking chances or diving outside your limitations.

Rec Diver:
His perception of the buddy system is the "additional resources available". Doesn't your buddy need those resources? To think that the equipment your buddy has decended with is an extra resource for you to use at your leisure is crap. You would be better buddy if you were self reliant. Then your buddy would not be stressed out when you had a problem.
This is your reason you believe Pants is full of crap? Ok thats fine I guess. I happen to agree with Pants though. If my buddy needs a light, he gets my backup. If I need a light, I get his.

For me and my buddies, this doesn't add any additional stress to the dive.

A lot of the divers that I have seen that try to be fully self reliant (carry two of everything) have the mindset that they are prepared to be a solo diver in the case of buddy separation, which to me is solving the wrong problem.

JeffG:
A lot of the divers that I have seen that try to be fully self reliant (carry two of everything) have the mindset that they are prepared to be a solo diver in the case of buddy separation, which to me is solving the wrong problem.

This has been what I have previously written. My buddies, friends, or team dive exactly this way. So if and when seperation occurs, there is no stress. Your friend Pants is discussing situations that go beyond the sharing of a light. If you can not help yourself, how can you possibly help anyone else. To think you can is crap.

I'd like you to point out where I said any diver cannot help himself.

Quit putting words in my mouth. All I specifically said was that situations exist where another intelligent and able-bodied human being can be of assistance.

I specifically refuted the "buddy reliance" thing you seem to be harping on. Having an intelligent and able-bodied human being to give you a hand if you need it is an increase in diver safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom