Let's Invade Oklahoma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nerissa:
I want to go somewhere Memorial day weekend anyone interested.

Something in SW Ark. like DeGray or Ten Killer/Ok. with Frank..............

I live in Oklahoma City and dive Tenkiller regularly. As of last month vis was pretty bad(less than 5ft). It usually starts clearing up in March and the best month to dive there is April. Last April was the best vis all year and it was only about 15 ft. The year before that visibility in April was around 30 to 40 ft. If visibility is good the diving at Tenkiller is much better than Broken Bow. It has more of a rock base with lots of walls, overhangs, rock formations, and you see way more fish life. However, Broken Bow had much better visibility than Tenkiller all year last year. At Stevens Gap Area in early June there was about 15 ft of vis above the thermocline(which was at around 35ft) and about 30ft vis below it. But for every good thing there is a catch. I was reading 45 degrees at 65 ft of depth which made for a quick turnaround since I was only wearing my 5mm and a shorty. I also get to dive Lake Ouachita several times a year and it is much better than Degray. You must have a boat to get to the good sites though. If any of you Swampers have any questions about OK lakes (and a few in Arkansas) let me know I would be pleased to help. I will definitely be needing some info on TX lakes later in the season.

Gillty

I used to go to a church camp in Beaver's bend when I was younger. I like it alot up there but I remember the water being very cold, even in the middle of summer. I have a two piece 6mm suit with hood, do you think that would be adequate up there?

Thank you, Gillty! We'll be taking you up on that offer and reciprocating, I'm sure. :)

Chris,

I think your suit would suffice if you are doing much diving below the thermoclines or even in late spring and early fall. In July and August the surface temps at Broken Bow get up to around 80 or so. I am a wimp when it comes to temperature so I go dry from October to the end of May.

Gillty

Just thought I would bring this back up and see if anyone is still interested. I have some other trips already planned for the next two months but I could do a weekend in July if anyone is interested.

July would be good. I'm lookin' at crawling back into the water maybe sometime next month or June, when ever the water warms up. :D

Chris, is the cold water you're talking about in the park at the little swimming area? That's always cold, it's spring fed I think. Brrrrr....

Broken Bow outside of the park is warmer, until ya hit the thermo.

Yes, in the swimming hole with that huge rock and the cement platform to jump off of. We also used to swim in the creeks up there but a kid died one year (not someone from our group) and the park closed it off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom