Lets give it a try with US Air to Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok..so I have this pipe dream.

Ive only been to Bonaire once, but I the type of guy that believes in love at first sight. Needless to say there is a good bit of discussion going on with the current state of affairs in getting to Bonaire. AJ....(Air Jamaica) basically sucks. Maintenance problems...scheduling problems...being on time problems....so on.

Just out of curiosity, I wrote two airlines to see what their views or comments would be in adding Bonaire to their routes.

Here is what US Air sent back::::

Dear Mr.-------:

Thank you for taking the time to express interest in possible future flights to Bonaire on US Airways. While we do not offer service at this time, your comments have been thoroughly documented with our Scheduling and Marketing
departments for consideration. Many changes made at US Airways is based on the feedback received from our valuable customers.

We are grateful for the impressions you have shared with us, Mr. Riggs, and thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Karen M. Martin
Executive Staff
US Airways Office of Consumer Affairs

Now some would take that as a polite blow off, but I dont. My feeling is if a LOT of people started writing US Air, maybe they would really consider putting Bonaire on their schedules. Hey...thats how Star Trek came back !!

I also wrote Delta. They did answer but it was the most worthless letter I am not even wasting the space to post it. Written like a true politician.

While I "feel" there are many in Bonaire that really dont want to see it easy to get there because there is the feeling the more visitors the more Bonaire will go downhill. I can see that, but I dont think it would happen. Only time will tell.

So, if you are so inclined....head on over to US Air (www.usair.com) and let them know I am not the only guy
(or gal) interested in going to Bonaire.
thanks
rich

US Airways would not be my first choice, but that aside Bonaire isn't what the airlines(US) consider a profitable route with consistent load factors for commiting their resources to. Time may prove me wrong, but I think current state of the industry won't yield new service any time soon. JMO. It was quite a polite blowoff, though.

Jet

You could always look at flights from the USA to either Aruba or Curacao, with easy puddle jumping on BonaireExcel between islands.

RICHinNC:
Ok..so I have this pipe dream.
Rich,

Sorry, but right now, I think that's all it is. USAir lost 611M dollars on 7.1B in revenue last year so adding new un-profitable routes would be a stretch for them.

Also they're in confirmed advanced merger talks with America West Airlines, so that will be resolved before either of them add new routes. In fact they'll probably reduce service if the merger goes through. If the merger does happen, it will all become USAir, so there'd potentially be a lot of westcoast traffic routed through the eastern hubs to the Caribbean. Out here, America West is one of the major commuter airlines.

What about Continental/Continental Express - they fly to the Caribbean regularly. Maybe they'd be interested in at least a stop in Bonaire. I don't see any major air carrier committing a large plane to the route, the traffic load doesn't support it.

I don't think the interest is there outside of divers and windsurfers. It wouldn't hurt to make some overtures to them somehow also, they're prospective regular travelers to Bonaire also. At least from your coast, ours all go to Maui.

So the smaller "Express" carriers are probably the most likely to consider adding a route. That's why American Eagle flies to Bonaire now, not AA, I doubt the passenger load from the US supports a big plane. It obviously does from the Netherlands, I saw a big KLM plane there one night. I'm guessing that Bonaire is marketed as being a small piece of Dutch paradise in Europe - as is Curacao.

I do think you've got the right idea, with the demise of DCA, the uncertainty of Air Jamaica and now the recent troubles of Bonaire Excel - all the Excel's - it's starting to look like the only option might be AA in the near future. For us westcoasters that can mean a long layover in San Juan. Or maybe TACA from Venezuela or some other pricey route. I didn't notice who had gates at Kralendijk except for AA, AJ and KLM.

Anyone interested in this idea who also wants to contact the official Bonaire representatives:
Adams Unlimited
10 Rockefeller Plaza, Suite 900
New York, NY 10020
Tel: 1-800-BONAIRE (1-800-266-2473) or
(212) 956-5912
Fax: (212) 956-5913
email usa@tourismbonaire.com
On the other hand, Bonaire isn't the Bahamas - frankly I'm glad it's not, I'd hate to see Bonaire overrun by non-diving tourists, or become a pricey destination like Cayman.

And not to burst your bubble more, but Friday's the last Enterprise ever...

my .02

Steve

Since the government of Jamaica had to take back control of AJ (Air Jamaybe) there has been serious talk of getting support from other countries and trying to combine some other Caribbean region airlines into one profitable entity. We can only hope!

Well...ya know....its kinda like the lottery. You dang well know you wont win if you dont buy a ticket.....the odds may suck if you do....but at least then you do have a chance.

USA is the second biggest carrier headed that direction. Its worth a try. Most it will cost a diver now is 10 minutes on the pc.

Ive not heard a lot of good things about AA either....not as bad as AJ....but not much better.

I fly a lot...and I mean a lot. I just dont understand the airlines doing bad except for fuel costs. Time to get rid of some politicians if you ask me but dont...I dont want another phone call from the CIA. Just go through Atlanta and it is always packed. Maybe a few exec salaries need to come down to real life like the rest of us.....

but i digress....

You can get to Aruba on USAir & then puddle jump over. I've made arrangements via USAir (from PHL) to do just that. FFMiles to get to Aruba & pay for the rest of the flight (I think it was $129 RT) They will even book the jumper for you. You do have to call, you can't do it over the web. AA & AJ both wanted in excess of $1,700. Had we paid for the whole thing, USAir was $900 to Aruba plus the $129 which is still far better then $1,700. And some of the AA/AJ flight options took 17 hours to arrive.

I too love Bonaire - must be something in the rustic spirit of we Southerners.

I will gladly email US Air as well. They connect in Charlotte from Knoxville. Although, that champagne service with Air Jamaica - MMMMM

Back
Top Bottom