Let's get wet 6/8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regardless of what others do that I cannot do anything about, I am comfortable with the policy that picking up and handling marine life for no other purpose than your own amusement is not a good idea. I did think my friend did a good thing freeing the horn shark I mentioned, but don't try to lecture me on logic and consistency. I prefer not to pick up the critters and play with them when I'm underwater, even if the boat I rolled off of took out 200 invertibrates setting anchor. I don't get into hand-wringing about it, I just do what I can.

However, people are concerned about minimizing needless impact on marine ecosystems; it's why some dive ops in tropical areas are setting mooring bouys even when the governments deny permission to do so just so they won't continue to tear up the reef. Maybe we can have small victories.

You're right that each person has to make the call for themselves, and for me there is a difference between fishing for supper and picking up a crab to watch it wave its legs around.

Also, remember that what you do underwater is modeling for those who look up to you. You are setting an example for newbies every time you go in the water with them. What do you want to pass on to other divers who may be figuring out their own underwater behaviors?

As I said, do what you will. But if you're diving with me please don't pick up a crab and try to hand it to me.

Last edited:
OK folks, enough beating the dead seahorse. Time to step down off of your soapboxes. It's been somewhat amusing sitting back watching this "debate" among people who all seem to be on the same side of the issue. All I have to say is that in your zeal to make a point, you've made a lot of assumptions about what happened and why. I"ll leave it at that, and thanks for playing.

Does the runner up get a prize too?? :wink:

On another note, we need to go out soon now that I have an enclosure for my camera.

Thanks Devin for the reminder that we probably all agree. I felt pretty sure, Brandon, when you were talking about common sense that we likely had similar notions of what that is. Not that common sense is all that common, thus my little episode. I apologize for the heavy tone; I guess I should ratchet down my over-pressure relief valve a little.

Anyway, I am into picking up certain things, especially full beer bottles with diving friends, and I look forward to a time when we can have a cold one together after some good dives.

Back
Top Bottom