Let's get wet 6/8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So how was it Devin? I dove off the Cypress Sea in Carmel for my AOW today. It was really nice. Little cold but I was diving dry so not too bad. Id estimate at both sites (that I need to look up the true names of) we had 30-35 feet of vis.

Well, it was a good day. The weather was beautiful, except for the typical chilly afternoon breeze at Lover's Point. The vis was ok in spots, bad in others. Surge was light to moderate. Came across a huge lingcod that did NOT want his picture taken, and an interesting new crab that I still haven't identified yet. If anyone has a good resource for that, I'd appreciate a heads up.

Devin, I have seen a ton of these crabs out on the pipe and out at the fields... i just dont know what they are either. IIRC ive seen a purple one also, but the bright orange is most common...

I just posted my pics from the day. It's the 16th and 17th photos. I should have taken one of it upside down too.

Also, I'm not sure about the crab in photos 5 and 6 either - didn't seem like your standard decorator crab.

Picasa Web Albums - Devin - DivingLoversP...
5 and 6: Cryptic Kelp Crab Pugettia richii.

16 and 17: A small Umbrella Crab, Cryptolithodes sitchensis. Bigger sibblings are
common at Shale Island.

Please don't pick up the critters.

<rant>Chuck has a point worth noting. Aside from the fact that most ecological preserves have cautions against handling marine life, and all dive training agencies whose policy I know say don't do it, people still handle marine life. You may think it's no problem, and you aren'[t hurting anything, but maybe you don't know what you're doing. Moreover, you are diving with a buddy or buddies. How do they feel about handling marine life? How do they feel about you doing it?

This may seem like something not worth even considering, but I have to say that every time a dive buddy of mine has picked up a crab or some other critter, it has annoyed me. The only time I thought it was OK was when a buddy got a horn shark unstuck from between two rocks. I would prefer that people just leave marine life alone, and I would really prefer that my dive buddies not hold some squirming thing up in front of my mask. I can see things just as well when they're going about their regular routines.

Do what you will, and all. But maybe you don't really need to pick up the next crab you see.

</rant>

Unfortunately like anything man does, our "environment" pays the price. No matter if your picking up a crab, driving a car, boat, standing [too] close to a seal (as in some pictures ive seen here), or whatever. Your actions may not directly harm, but you could have caused some chain of events that does.

Now I dont think its necessary to blow up at people about it, but a friendly reminder is another story. Who knows, perhaps what you did saved/prolonged its life.

Bottom line if you REALLY want to get all upset, then stay out of the water yourself. If your concerned that your/others presence or actions are causing harm then dont go there. No human influence allows things to take their "natural" course. Now whats natural? Some diver flipping over a upside down umbrella crab? Otters greatly reducing the abalone population? Someone's boat prop injuring or killing a sea creature? Why is spear fishing or any fishing ok in that case? I guess its up to you to decide.

Anyway all im saying is use common sense. If by handling something you are helping it, or know you arent causing harm (again its a call YOU have to make) then so be it.In fact anyone with a boat can think about this. Can you say that without a doubt you have never in any way injured or otherwise impacted in a un-natural manner another sea "creature" while in the water? No hard feelings to anyone with a boat either. (Chuck id love to come on yours some day :wink: )

Anyway, its time to go home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom