Let there be light!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
And he saw that it was good!
After rinsing my strobe with alcohol last night and sanding the corrosion off the contacts and springs, all I was able to get this morning was the charge light to come on. I shook the strobe and a little alcohol came out so I set the thing in front of fan all day while I went for a couple dives. I just got brave and put the batteries in and the charge light came on slowly (like usual). I clicked over to the test position and POP a flash of light. I enjoyed it so much I did it twice more. I'm not sure this will last and I am sure I don't like the battery hatch on this thing so I have my eye open for a replacement just in case. For now I won't look a gift horse in the mouth. Thank you all for your good wishes.

Glad to hear the great news! Keep in mind that even the $600 U/W strobes will LEAK as well. Any chance of posting some close up shots of the strobe's battery door latch/oring in the open position? Thanks and keep those great images coming.

Glad it worked. Nonetheless I plan to check that o-ring and pull real hard on those two little flaps EVERY SINGLE TIME. Hope it holds up. If you got it before corrosion set in, it should be OK.

I actually did pull on those tabs and everything looked normal, that's what scares me. As for corrosion, the battery contacts at the bottom of the compartment had one side pretty corroded and the little springs on the hatch door that complete the circuit had corrosion as well. I can't see anything else but I'm sure for the price of the strobe that the materials can't be titanium or something like that :D. I guess the good news is that I've flooded it once and the damage is done. I can relax in case of further problems because the weakness has been exposed and the damage has done its duty.

I'll see if I can get a picture of the compartment open and post it later.

Man glad you got it working again. Thanks for giving me something positive to think about the day before I leave for Belize. LOL

Thats great news SY!

SeaYoda:
I guess the good news is that I've flooded it once and the damage is done. I can relax in case of further problems because the weakness has been exposed and the damage has done its duty.

Good news!! You have the right attitude for shooting in your "back yard" but you might think about a spare if you decide to take an expensive dive vacation in the future. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom