Lesson Learned - Why I Should Get a Drysuit or How Cold Makes You Dumb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't dive in those waters in a wet suit in the summer! And this was recently?...

-You are getting that dry suit, aren't you?

SeanQ:
I've lost a bit of weight around the torso so the suit doesn't fit as well as it used to. I guess I should go polish off those leftover Christmas cookies. :D

Drysuits are expensive, I'd definitely go for the cookies!

I regularly dive cold water and if you're not ready for it it can be a real "shocker". It can definitely take your breath away and cause you to "freeze up".

Filling your suit with warm water before the dive is a great way to help, then slow entry might be good. When I was diving wet in cold water I always took the giant stride. I wanted to get the rush of cold water into the suit quickly and get on with the dive (kind of like ripping the band-aid off quickly :eyemouth:) . It is also a good idea to pull your hood back and get the cold water to your ears. Also remove your mask and immerse your face to get acclamated.

We all face unexpected surprises when we dive. It sounds like you handled it just fine and adjusted your plan for the future. Congratulations, and welcome to cold water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom