Lesson Learned - Why I Should Get a Drysuit or How Cold Makes You Dumb.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanQ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I like to learn something each time I go diving and today I learned a good lesson. After thinking things over I realized that it all started because of a few small issues that could have been easily fixed - plus one dumb decision. I've also realized that had the conditions been worse those small issues that snowballed could have become serious.

I went diving in a local inlet; because of the numerous streams in the area there was layer of cold (50F, 10C), fresh water on the surface. Anyone who has dove wet in cold water knows how it feels when the water rushes into the suit. There is a moment when you seem to freeze up and it takes a lot of effort to be able to move controllably. All of my experience in this water temp has been shore diving where I can control how quickly this happens. Since this would be my first time in this temp and on a boat, I should have realized that the shock would be greater that I was used to. Did I? Nope.

Every now and then I've noticed that the bottom of my mask seal feels like it is curled on my lip when I have a reg in. It's never caused a leak before but it was uncomfortable. As I put my reg in before sliding off the boat, I noticed that it was happening again. No big deal, I thought, I'll adjust it once I get in the water.

Now for the dumb decision. Because of the size of my fins, the size of the swim platform, and the way I was sitting before I got in the water, I decided it would be easier to put my fins on once I got in. I could go into the water and by holding onto the ladder I could reach my fins and put them on. Great plan - until I tried it. :11doh:

Not thinking about how I would be affected by the cold, I hopped in. Once I hit the water though my mask decided to flood. The combination of the seal and the entry had caused it to dislodge. The cold water crept into my suit and hit my face. I went to fix my mask - not an easy task while you're not adjusted to the cold - and in the process forgot about the ladder and my fins. I finally get my mask in place when I hear "You forgot your fins" followed by "You're drifting away from the boat". Now would be a good time to mention the slight surface current. I looked back at the boat and noticed I was moving away. Whoops - better start swimming. I've taken swimming lessons, and while not claiming to have the greatest (or even great) technique, I feel comfortable in the water. Swimming back the the boat without fins, a slight current and the added drag of dive gear, however, wasn't something I looked forward to. Thanks to my buddies who swam my fins over to me.

I can easily see now that had there been a significant current I could have been in trouble. I've also learned that even a small current isn't to be underestimated. I feel like an idiot for letting that happen. I won't be making the same mistake twice.

Comments, criticism, jokes at my expense (provided I find them funny), and similiar stories of sympathy; please and thank you.

I can't believe the dive operator allowed you to get in the water with no fins on in the first place.

It's a really frightening realization, how ineffective feet are at moving scuba gear. Glad it came out okay.

Getting in without fins was the obvious issue. You can always hook them on your arm if wearing them isn't practical. Bringing a spare mask if your primary was getting questionable is another thought. You can get slip on shorts to carry it if you don’t have pockets. As for the cold, you could have flooded your wetsuit shortly before entering to get past the initial shock. An empty milk jug you could fill would have done the trick. If you were in true danger of drifting away without fins you should have called for a rope toss.

Lots of critics on the board. I’m sure you’ll hear from good ones and bad ones. You will probably get equipment maintenance and entry technique comments. Regardless, we all make mistakes. The trick is to make as few as possible and learn from the ones you do make.

Two words:

"Panicked Shrinkage"

;-)

I feel for ya. That first shock of icy water down the spine usually results in my letting out a stream of obscenities for about 3-4 minutes. I had a similar experience during a dive a week before thanksgiving. Was wearing a 7mm, and thought I'd put the fins on after going down the ladder (It was in a small scuba park in).. once that shock of ice water hit, I'd forgotten all about the fins.

TsandM is right, it's really rediculous how little your neoprened feet can kick you along in full gear.

Lesson learned.

D.

jo8243:
I can't believe the dive operator allowed you to get in the water with no fins on in the first place.
If I were the operator and he wanted to dive naked I wouldn't stop him. I might advise against it but it's his dive. I actually dislike dive operators that nurse-maid me too much.
Glad you learned a lesson from that Sean. If every dive went perfectly I guess we'd never learrn anything

Goose75:
Getting in without fins was the obvious issue. You can always hook them on your arm if wearing them isn't practical. Bringing a spare mask if your primary was getting questionable is another thought. You can get slip on shorts to carry it if you don’t have pockets. As for the cold, you could have flooded your wetsuit shortly before entering to get past the initial shock. An empty milk jug you could fill would have done the trick. If you were in true danger of drifting away without fins you should have called for a rope toss.

Lots of critics on the board. I’m sure you’ll hear from good ones and bad ones. You will probably get equipment maintenance and entry technique comments. Regardless, we all make mistakes. The trick is to make as few as possible and learn from the ones you do make.

The mask is still in good condition. I think the issue was caused by the how the seal forms on my upper lip. I've only noticed this happen 3 or 4 times before and it was caused by the mask being in the wrong position. In this case I made the decision to fix it while in the water. Because my past experience with the mask lead me to believe it was a strictly a comfort issue, I didn't expect it to leak when I jumped in the water. Now I do.

I actually had a thermos full of warm water which I used after the dive. In retrospect it would have been useful before the dive as well.

It took me a moment to get my mask back in place because of the cold -I eventually had to remove it completely to reposition the strap. By the time I removed and replaced my mask, got my bearings and realized I was finless I was less than 30 feet from the mooring bouy. Not in danger of drifting away but far enough to teach me a lesson.

SeanQ:
Anyone who has dove wet in cold water knows how it feels when the water rushes into the suit. There is a moment when you seem to freeze up and it takes a lot of effort to be able to move controllably.

I dive in water that is fortyish and have done a couple ice dives in wet suits without ever experiencing the sensations you describe. I'm a real sissy without protection, but the chill comes over me very slowly when I'm in my wetsuit.

The 'rush' you describe makes me wonder about the fit of your suit.

dherbman:

I've lost a bit of weight around the torso so the suit doesn't fit as well as it used to. I guess I should go polish off those leftover Christmas cookies. :D

dherbman:
I dive in water that is fortyish and have done a couple ice dives in wet suits without ever experiencing the sensations you describe. I'm a real sissy without protection, but the chill comes over me very slowly when I'm in my wetsuit.

I thought the same thing when I read SeanQ's post. I've dove in water that was in the low 40's using a 7mm one piece wetsuit with hood. I believe my wetsuit has a good fit because the cold builds slowly, it's not an instant thing.

I've also had occasions where my mask has decided not to fit right, much like you describe. I found the only thing to do is fiddle with it till it seats right. Of course I try to do it when my task loading is low.

I guess one lesson from your experience is to set priorities. I would have inflated my BCD some more, stayed floating on my back and checked my position with the boat before trying to fix the mask problem.

I'm curious given your description of the dive platform, whether you could have used a different entry technique ? You didn't say what entry method the other divers in the boat used (giant stride, back roll, controlled seated )? Were they able to enter with their fins attached ?

Back
Top Bottom