Lesson learned, potential mishap avoided? What's your opinion.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1 kt is not a slight current.

Very true.

People throw x knots of current in dive reports like they come in six-packs, in reality a no kidding 1 knot current measured with an ADCP or similar device is not chopped liver.
Looking at the GPS of the boat only gives a combination of surface current with wind.

In any case, even with out any current, unless you can easily swim to shore it isn't the wisest decision to leave a disabled vessel. Wait until Tow Boat shows up see how they fix it and then go do your dive.

Just curious- would you all feel the same if they were only going for a swim?

No.

IMO, putting inexperienced divers into the water in those conditions provides a high degree of risk for them to panic or become overwhelmed with the situation.

I don't think swimming would be such a great idea either, but I don't think it has the same risk.

Very risky
... One more point to consider ... what if one or more divers need help, maybe a chamber .. your stuck right there until help arrives, there's no chance of the boat getting the divers closer to help

Sounds careless to me. If it were my family, I'd go with them - but not to sea on a one engine boat.

Well, I don't dive off an unattended boat in current, and a boat that can't move is equivalent to an unattended boat in my book (no one can come and get you). So I wouldn't have gotten in the water in that situation, and I don't think OW students should, either.

Well, I don't dive off an unattended boat in current, and a boat that can't move is equivalent to an unattended boat in my book (no one can come and get you). So I wouldn't have gotten in the water in that situation, and I don't think OW students should, either.

It is actually worse than if it was an unattended boat, because a working boat "temporary" unattended could easily become a manned boat good to go.
Granted the transition time could be the golden difference, but there is a lot more potential with a working vessel.

A boat dead in the water, is like an empty fire extinguisher or a dull knife, pretty useless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom