Less Lionfish in Florida? Think again!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luscioman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For all of you that thought there were a less Lionfish in Florida this year look at this from August 9. You can see the water bottle in the middle of that pile.

Credit to Alex Fogg on FB.
"So this is what 1399 lionfish looks like.....We had a hell of a day on the water for only 4 divers. Vincent Luise is a BOSS and showed me how its really done. I should have taken notes.
St. Augustine 8/09/2015"
Lionfish.jpg

I knew there was a reason there were less lionfish!

Lots of them at less than 100' and in places where there are few divers obviously.
I know that they are here where I am,
But getting scarcer by the day.
The program is working.
Our reefs do have some breathing room.
I only killed a dozen this past weekend.
I easily killed 25 the same weekend on the same reefs last year.
And it was over 50 the year before that.

Chug
Thinks the battle continues.....
forever.

Here in the Keys they are pretty much hard to find in the Sanctuary. My last 25 dives I have seen one

So what does one do with 1399 lionfish?

Not a criticism, I just can't imagine what to do with that many. Any fish I take from the ocean ends up in a family meal, very curious where did these ended up.

Eaten by someone or something... Do we really care ?

Jim....

So what does one do with 1399 lionfish? .
It was from a commercial boat, so probably sold. Which is actually very good. Many states outside of coastal ones are now actively seeking lionfish to serve to restaurant patrons. I know several central Florida fish processors absolutely cannot keep lionfish ceviche in stock as soon as an email update is blasted out. It is gone in just hours. The restaurant chefs are also having a field day with colorful displays on dinner plates with the spines (heat treated prior). Even artists are selling the spines as earring jewelry !!. 3 phone calls and you could off load 1400 lionfish easily And CLEANUP THE REEF at the same time !!

Reactions: Ana
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom