Lembeh in february. Which resort would you recommend and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Lembeh Resort dive centre has always been run by the Murex group as far as I know. Therefore, the dive centre will certainly be the same. I have not heard that they have now bought the hotel as well, I am sure it will be smooth if they have.
Lembeh resort and Lembeh resort dive centre (aka Critters@Lembeh) are (were) different operations.
AFAIK the dive centre was owned by Angelique/Danny currently owners of Murex Group, but Lembeh resort never was part of Murex group (except may be in their beginnings early 2000's).

Marketingwise at some time it was quite surprizing to get loyal Murex customer benefits from C@L and all Murex operations, but nothing from the Lembeh resort hotel for instance... I guess it makes more sense now.
I wouldn't be against less pompousness, I don't need it in Indonesia and also better pricing.
Sorry but I feel LR prices are quite ridiculous for North Sulawesi : 380USD per double room , a price which is only matched by Gangga Island Resort rack rates in this area, which I find a step above in terms of service/comfort/food etc, ..

Last edited:
That's a disappointing commentary Luko, though I'm aware that you have a bug up your . . .um, a burr under your saddle about the Murex pricing in general. Frankly, I'd like to try Gangga.

I'm only going to Lembeh Resort because it is the third stop on the Murex Passport to Paradise package. And I'm only doing the Passport to Paradise package because a friend from home is coming over to Southeast Asia to meet up with me to dive. My friend has heard me speaking about Bangka and Lembeh for the past 3 years and is keen to try it in this way. So, I shall see what I shall see.

What
That's a disappointing commentary Luko, though I'm aware that you have a bug up your . . .um, a burr under your saddle about the Murex pricing in general. Frankly, I'd like to try Gangga.
I don't understand what you find disappointing.
Facts are :
1- I have been a few times to Lembeh Resort, ( and you didin't get any discount at LR for returning customer).
2- I have been once in Gangga island so I can compare both
3- the pricing per room is similar : check out yourself, very easy it's online.

As for my opinion for Lembeh resort,I am not saying it's a bad resort but I think it is not worth its price. At this price (and for the price of diving too, I paid once 97USD for an additional night dive with my guide, probably a world record) you may expect exceptional location (there are more than 10 resorts around, it's not Raja Ampat or Alor), a little more flair (5 years ago even LR managers were complaining about the cook!) and spotlless dive services (guides do what they can, but there has been a lot of turnover, in terms of HR it means something, also not very impressed with some of C@L past managers, assigning me their less experienced guides too, while I was paying for a private guide).

I am not the only one who thinks Murex have greatly increased their prices the past years. Check out what is now stated for Bangka Murex on this board..
They have an agressive marketing that seem to work in the NA market, but well ... even in our early fifties (still young at heart), sometimes we thought we were in a retiree home somewhere in Florida. Not my type of resort.

I think I posted earlier on this thread about going to Lembeh Resort rather than KBR this year to check the place out. I'm with Luko. I did not find LR or C@L particularly impressive given their prices, and think they are overrated. I will be going back to KBR in the future.

Ultimately it is all subjective though. Undoubtedly some people will like the setup at LR. I am just not one of them.

I am disheartened.

I am disheartened.
Don't be : only your bank account is. :)
Wetpup and I were both considering the Q/P ratio, but all in all you can't say it's a bad resort, just IMO it is not worth that money... and hey, it's Lembeh! enjoy the critters !!

(And please do not follow that stupid 10% tip advice)

I am now faced with the same dilemma...Which resort to choose?
Who can help with my decision?

Here are my must have's:

Air Condition
Decent Wifi in the room (at least for email and Texts)
Western Food for my "meat and potato" better half
Not too many steps (Bad Knees)
Guide Ratio 2:1 or private boat
TV in the room would be an additional bonus (but is not a deal breaker)

Right now I'm leaning to NAD or Kungkungan (TV in the room), from what I researched, both give a bit more bang for the buck than Lembeh Resort.

Any other suggestions?

Any other suggestions?

Seriously??!!!
Did you not read the previous 50+ replies to this thread??? And a number of other threads that basically say the same thing.

Who can help with my decision?

Here are my must have's:

Air Condition
Decent Wifi in the room (at least for email and Texts)
Western Food for my "meat and potato" better half
Not too many steps (Bad Knees)
Guide Ratio 2:1 or private boat
TV in the room would be an additional bonus (but is not a deal breaker)

Right now I'm leaning to NAD or Kungkungan (TV in the room), from what I researched, both give a bit more bang for the buck than Lembeh Resort.

Any other suggestions?

You won't get a guide ratio like that or a private boat anywhere unless you pay for it. Guide ratio is 4:1 pretty much everywhere unless you fork over for a private guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom