Lembah/Bunaken - 2fishdivers - what sites should I dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi all

I think the heading says most of it. Going late in July and will dive for 6 days which is a bit tight to see everything.

What dive sites should I ask to go to and is there any advice or suggestions you can give a first time dive tripper to Lembah/Bunaken?

BTW will be after macro stuff mainly.

It's very tempting to give you a list of great sites - but I don't think that’s the way to go.

Instead make a list of things/critters you want to see, give this to the guides and let them decide the sites.

They dive every day and often know exactly where to find what you want to see.

Thanks Jeff I will do that.

I still have the report you made in 2008 and it was one of the main drivers for me to go. If I do half as well as you did in 2008 I can die a happy man.

regards

Ardy

have fun Ardy, I stayed at two-fish before also in lembeh and bunaken. I only shot wide-angle in Bunaken, and only macro in Lembeh. So maybe you should spend more time in lembeh.

You should definitely talk to the guides about what you want to see, but doing your own dive planning and research is also very important.

Try to find out what people have seen recently, and where they saw it. Combine that with what the guides know. Dive the best sites "early and often". Do a night dive every night.

I remember the police pier area is a TRE (target rich environment). Nudie Falls and TK3 were also TRE's. If I dig up my notes I'll mention more dive sites here.

The two-fish house reef is also not bad as a "5th" dive in the early afternoon. There's usually juvenile barrimundi there.

Scott

Thanks Scott - I have 4 days in lembeh and 2 in bunaken maybe I should just do lembeh as I dont do wide angle stuff as I find it a bit boring. Do like the WA macro shots I have seen but have no idea what I need to do that.

I love piers and jetties so will definitely take your advice on that.

Night diving is limited for me. I used to love it but I am short sighted and as you get older you need more light to see,makes it difficult to focus unless it is like daylight down there.

hi Ardy, was last year in Bunaken/Lembeh with 2fish, too.

for 6 day, I would skip Bunaken, because you are not really into wide angle stuff. Lembeh is really amazing AND
you loose half a day of diving due to transfer. Beside the fact, that Lembeh is much calmer.

Nightdives are a must in Lembeh. I'm also short sightened, but have seen everything clear. Or do you mean farsighted (can't see close things?). In that way, you may consider a loup.

If you wanna have a not too bad visibility, try to persuade Opo (if he is still there) to make an early morning dive (at 6). Visibility is very good (around 25 meters). In general, Opo is really good in spotting things. Saw everything a wanted (wonderpus, mimic, flambouyant, baby bamboo shark etc) except the bobitt worm.

have fun.

I'll add another vote for night dives. They should not be missed at Lembeh. Some of the best dives I've ever done anywhere were night dives in Lembeh a few day dives too, but the night dives are awesome.

dive guides in Lembeh do know what dive sites are the best at the moment for the critters you listed, just follow their suggestions

I personally can recommend Mawali wreck, that was a very nice dive and I'm not a wreck enthusiast

Last edited:
Ardy,
I have dived all over the world and for my money nowhere beats Lembeh. We dived there a couple of years ago with Two Fish in Bunaken and with Lembeh Resort in Lembeh. Both were great but the diving in Lembeh was truly out of this world. Given 6 days and the choice, I too would spend it all in Lembeh. Two Fish have a centre there and it sounds as if it is on a par with their Bunaken centre which was excellent. When we arrived we were asked what we wanted to see and with the exception of blue ring octopus we saw it all...wonderpus, mimic, metoti, flambuoyant cf, 3 types of pygmy sea horse, hairy frog fish, rhinopia, bobbit worms etc etc. My pics are on the Webshots site and I did a trip report which is on the BSAC website... just look in the travel section and follow the links. Whatever you choose to do I'm sure you will have a great time and get some amazing critter photos.
Dave.

Thanks guys I will ask if I can move to Lembeh for the total time.

regards to all.

Back
Top Bottom