Leisure Time Dive in Chattanooga, TN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

durham64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

Does anyone have any information, feedback or recommendations about their experiences with Leisure Time Dive in Chatt? I am looking for OW certification. I previously trained with a PADI 5 Star shop in Birmingham and made it to the final checkout dive and burst both eardrums, so did not complete it. This has been several, several years ago.

I need a shop, trainer, etc., that can be sensitive to my eardrum situation, although they have completely healed at this point. I still have some fear from this experience and need someone who is patient, kind and understanding. I don't want a repeat of being pushed through with a large class and feeling like I am being herded like cattle.

It seems that Leisure Time or Choo Choo Dive Center are the only two in this area. Any experience of feedback with either one would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Holley

I can't speak of their instructing quality, but we had some guys from Choo Choo in the shop a couple weeks ago. We were filling some trimix for them. They were some nice guys.

Some instructors offer private classes, I believe. I'd consider that, so the class can 'revolve around you' without the pressure to keep up with the pack, so to speak. Naturally it'll probably cost more. I'm not familiar with providers in your area.

Richard.

jasonb751,

I looked at Choo Choo's website and they had very little information as far as cost, etc. I also couldn't determine from the site who they are affiliated with, whether PADI, NAUI, SSI or whatever. I'll be sure and give them a call to figure all this out. I appreciate your help and hopefully I'll be in the water soon!

Holley

---------- Post added March 26th, 2013 at 01:40 PM ----------

Some instructors offer private classes, I believe. I'd consider that, so the class can 'revolve around you' without the pressure to keep up with the pack, so to speak. Naturally it'll probably cost more. I'm not familiar with providers in your area.

Richard.

Hello drrich2,

I had thought about this, which is a wonderful idea. I know it would be considerably more expensive, but probably worth it in the end. The whole situation in Birmingham was a mess. Just too many people in the class and on the final dive there was only 1 instructor and 8 people. We were diving in a quarry, everything was hurry, hurry, hurry, etc. I will definitely take this into consideration and check out the pricing difference.

Thanks for your help!

Holley

Durham,
I live in Chattanooga and regularly dive out of Leisure Time. I can assure you they are very professional, friendly and personable. Go in, talk to the owner, Gary, or to Bill who is one of the instructors. They have a nice heated pool and multiple options for getting you in the water and comfortable with your condition.
I have been diving with them for over 20 years, I know them well and they will treat you right. If you want more info, PM me with contact info.
Steven

Which Shop did you use in Birmingham ... If you don't mind me asking?

I do not know anything about any of the LDS in Chattanooga, but no doubt you will get good feedback here or by dropping into the shops and see which "feels right".

Just a heads up though, I work part time in a LDS here at home and with your ear issue, you will likely need to get a medical clearance from an ENT to take the course if you tell them about the ear issue. Since it is healed, should be no issue, but probably prudent to see an ENT just to be on the safe side before taking a class again.

Just wanted to give you a heads up and save you a step to get that done and have it ready to take the class. Either shop should have the form available when you stop in to get a feel for them and/or see what their schedule/cost is for classes.

Back
Top Bottom