Legality Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

everything we do in life involves risk. having pool is a risk. ihave afence around it toreduce the risk. choking in a pool should not be life threathening. i was mainly asking if i was in my pool in my dive gear and a swimmer in my pool wanted to breath under water, in the shallow end, is there realy any more risk than someone that is swimming. no way would isuit up someone to dive that hase not gone through certification. before i certified, i wondered the same.

It doesn't matter really, it's ultimately your choice. I know I have never tried it and If I trusted the diver who would do the same for me I would be grateful for the chance to see what it is like to breath under water.
Lay the rig on the side and practice buddy breathing. let him/her us your alternate.
Just remember, you will be playing GOD. If something goes wrong YOU will be to blame.
go get wet!

It doesn't matter really, it's ultimately your choice. I know I have never tried it and If I trusted the diver who would do the same for me I would be grateful for the chance to see what it is like to breath under water.
Lay the rig on the side and practice buddy breathing. let him/her us your alternate.
Just remember, you will be playing GOD. If something goes wrong YOU will be to blame.
go get wet!

:rofl3::rofl3: I think your getting a little carried away with the God remark geez

It seems to me that if you have someone who understands what to do (breath in breath out) and you let him sit in 4ft of water with a reg in his mouth how bad can that be :confused: we are not talking about diving the Doria for Pete's sake he swims around a little if he thinks its cool :D let him get certified :coffee:

How many of you taught your child or was taught by your parents to drive a 4000 pound car or handle a weapon. Were you or your parents certified driving or weapons instructors.
I just don't see a lot of difference between those things and diving. All can be quite deadly.

Diving and Firearms are two different things. I completely disagree with the comparison on that basis, and also with automobiles.

Guns are easy to teach. If you understand how they work, how they are to be cleaned and the proper means and places with which to fire them, training is not difficult, nor does it require certification in most places. (Just a background check and a stamp from your county's Sheriff, in GA at least.) In the states which have a CCW permit test, if you can't shoot well enough to pass, go practice and try again.

Firearms are not technical devices, you can't die from a Firearm because you made improper calculations, or fired too many rounds without taking a break of (x) number of minutes. You die from outright stupidity or intentional acts.

I'm not a firearms instructor, but I have been a shooter since I was 7 years old, and a Law Enforcement Officer for 3 years, during all of which I have been required to meet a standard level of Firearms qualification, whether from the department or my Dad. I have no problem whatsoever teaching my son (when hes old enough) to shoot. And I have no doubt in my mind that he will be just as proficient and responsible with the knowledge as I have been.

I will not - however - teach my son to dive.

As far as cars go - by the time most people are parents, they have enough time on the road to be able to sufficiently teach their children how to drive. Although I do believe the legal driving age should be 18, thats another story. Plus Driver's Ed in High School.

But you are comparing apples to oranges. Diving is a highly technical skill in which you have to be constantly aware of every facet of the activity. There are more things to think about in 20 minutes of diving than in 5 years of shooting or driving.

Guns are easy. Always point down range, unload before pointing anywhere else. Any civilian shooter that follows those two rules will never hurt anyone with a firearm. CCW permit holders have one further rule. Never pull loaded gun out of holster unless you have to defend yourself.

If you tried to simplify diving to that extent, your students would most certainly be injured or die.

Although I do believe any OW diver that payed sufficient attention could teach someone else to use the tables and dive properly, unlike Firearms and Cars, if your child dies diving with you, you will probably be charged criminally.

If my child (of legal age) buy a Firearm and shoots someone, I am not liable, even though I taught him the skills to use it.

If my child (of legal age) buys a car and kills someone with it, I am not liable. (Especially because, just like my own dad, I will refuse to let my child be on my insurance policy)

If they steal a Firearm that is improperly secured, or drive a car for which the keys are not taken care of, before they are of age to do so, we are in a different situation. Although the car thing is debateable, because at age 11-17 it's not hard to get a hold of car keys. We've had several cases here, and the parents are not usually charged, the child goes to juvenile court if it is determined they were intelligent enough to know what they were doing at the time.

:rofl3::rofl3: I think your getting a little carried away with the God remark geez

It seems to me that if you have someone who understands what to do (breath in breath out) and you let him sit in 4ft of water with a reg in his mouth how bad can that be :confused: we are not talking about diving the Doria for Pete's sake he swims around a little if he thinks its cool :D let him get certified :coffee:

To that point - I really would like to know (just for the sake of knowing) if all the stuff that is spread around about getting bent from 3 feet of water is true, or just a scare tactic to keep people from doing exactly what this post is about.

I can understand the AGE from 3 feet of water, especially if your lungs were at cull capacity.

(AGAIN - Not that I intend to try this - just want a straight answer) How long would you have to stay under in 3 feet of water until you couldn't just stand straight up into open air without getting bent in some form or fashion, no matter how major or minor.

I know during my OW class, people were CONSTANTLY standing up in the shallow end when they had a problem. Myself not included - most of the students even made CESA 's from the 8 foot end of the pool when they couldn't get one of the skills to work.

During removal of the SCUBA unit underwater, one student shot to the surface without blowing any bubbles and with no gear on, which I am sure resulted in faster than 60ft/Min ascent rate.

For the sake of knowledge, there has to be some math behind the "bent at 3 feet" story. I am not suggesting I want to try it, or have anyone else try it, I just want to UNDERSTAND how it is possible.

Why is it that the most vocal opponents to letting someone try scuba seem to have the least experience with it.

I also would like to know where the "bent from 3 feet" story came from.

How many of those that are indicating how easy it is to teach someone else remember all of the skills that they were taught in the ow class?

To go back to the driving versus diving concept. If someone spends as much time diving as the average American does driving then my assumption would be that that person could "teach" someone to be a safe diver.

Diving and Firearms are two different things. I completely disagree with the comparison on that basis, and also with automobiles.

But you are comparing apples to oranges. Diving is a highly technical skill in which you have to be constantly aware of every facet of the activity. There are more things to think about in 20 minutes of diving than in 5 years of shooting or driving.

If driving a car is so easy, why are you so reluctant to toss a beginner your keys?
And so eager to toss a beginner your reg if diving is so much more complicated?

I have a great deal of experience with it.

Walter, with your experience I have no dought that even if you weren't an instructor you could take someone on a simple shallow dive.
Should someone with one year and 50 dives do it, probably not but to generalize that anyone who is not an instructor can not do it safely is is unrealistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom