Legality Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for double post - back on the topic.

If your child/informal trainee was hurt in Georgia, at least, they would have to go to Magistrate Court and take a warrant out for Reckless Conduct, or Criminal Negligence. Unless they (God Forbid) died in the case, then action would probably be taken by local Police.

If they got bent and went to the hospital and got better without huge out of pocket expenses, most likely, the Police would never find out about it. And I sincerely doubt the first Cop on scene after EMS arrives is going to start asking for C-Cards.

Being said - I myself woudn't do simply because of possible litigation risks.

That and I am still working on my own skills, let alone someone elses. Methinks it will be a long time before I go out for Instructor.

Is there some law or policing agency? I'm pretty sure there are not.
However, like most things, everything rocks along nicely until something hits the fan (remember playing with those sticks as a child and your parent warning about getting hit in the eye?). Same thing goes here...imagine the possible consequences should there be a fatal accident. At the worst, there could be legal charges of reckless endangerment or possibly even negligent homicide depending upon the circumstances (losing contact with an untrained buddy, for example). At the least, there would most likely be grounds for cival proceedings.
I think we all agree...bad idea. I certainly wouldn't want to test the legal waters by risking it.

Is there some law or policing agency? I'm pretty sure there are not.
However, like most things, everything rocks along nicely until something hits the fan (remember playing with those sticks as a child and your parent warning about getting hit in the eye?). Same thing goes here...imagine the possible consequences should there be a fatal accident. At the worst, there could be legal charges of reckless endangerment or possibly even negligent homicide depending upon the circumstances (losing contact with an untrained buddy, for example). At the least, there would most likely be grounds for cival proceedings.
I think we all agree...bad idea. I certainly wouldn't want to test the legal waters by risking it.

If the families of burglars can sue the person who shot their son/daughter after they broke into a house, it is not far fetched or far reaching at all to believe that you could be named in Civil proceedings at the absolute least.

Florida will ticket you for breaking the dive rules at a state park. At our local Blue Springs, you must be cavern certified to have a light. You can't have a light and a non-cavern / cave buddy, either. One young man got a $150 ticket recently, for just that.

You must show a C-card at the gate house to dive. If you avoid this check-in process and go straight for the water, it is also a ticket. So, sneaking a non-certified diver in may (should) get you in trouble with the law.

Florida will ticket you for breaking the dive rules at a state park. At our local Blue Springs, you must be cavern certified to have a light. You can't have a light and a non-cavern / cave buddy, either. One young man got a $150 ticket recently, for just that.

You must show a C-card at the gate house to dive. If you avoid this check-in process and go straight for the water, it is also a ticket. So, sneaking a non-certified diver in may (should) get you in trouble with the law.

i thinks thats inda appauling i mean understand the need to watch and make sure that poeple who want to dive should have a little knowledge about helping themselves but to the point of charging you for diving with something your buddy shouldn't be diving with is going OTT but all this about needing the proper training and stuuf could (and im not saying it should) be taken in moderence i mean the first divers , deep divers, cavern divers , jeez even ice divers im sure they didnt have c-cards specific to them and who knows your might invite a new speciality by being advanturous :newbie:

Last edited:
If the families of burglars can sue the person who shot their son/daughter after they broke into a house, it is not far fetched or far reaching at all to believe that you could be named in Civil proceedings at the absolute least.
Absolutely!
I've no doubt almost any OW certed diver can teach enough of the basics to get someone through a rec dive without incident (barring unforseen malfunctions, current, panic, stupidity, or trying to make nice to that pretty green moray...).

However, I agree with DiveBZ and seaducer... we live in a ridiculously litigious society. Give 'em half a handhold, and they'll own your next breath...

Bottom line... ticket or not... BAD idea...

one question that ihave been asked since recently being certified is how easy is it to breath under water through a regulator. this person is interested in diving . i told him to come to my house and try breathing with my regulator under water in the shallow end. would any of you with more experince than me see anything wrong with this.

one question that ihave been asked since recently being certified is how easy is it to breath under water through a regulator. this person is interested in diving . i told him to come to my house and try breathing with my regulator under water in the shallow end. would any of you with more experince than me see anything wrong with this.

Some people will and some won't. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal unless you strap your entire kit on them with 40 pounds and sink them 10-12 feet under, or even worse - renting gear for them and taking them along with you. You're just asking for trouble.

Provided said Parent could teach said child all of the same skills that are necessary to pass OW, I honestly don't see the issue other than lack of an instructor certificate that cost bookoo bucks to obtain into the agencies pocket.

But the parent is not trained to teach diving. How many parents do you think would hold their kid underwater if they tried to bolt for the surface? How many can perform in water mouth-to-mouth at the level an instructor needs to? How many know the skills well enough themselves to spot when someone is performing it properly?

I let my kid breathe from my reg at 10 ft once to let him get a taste of diving. He had to blow his air before I would let him surface. Letting a kid go do actual diving without training is stupid. My opinion. Unless you're trying to get rid of them.

Back
Top Bottom