Legal considerations for the Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They quoted the victim's lawyer as saying, and the article stated, the fire started in the galley; the exits led to the galley; and the charging station was in the galley. Don't they mean the salon? I thought all of the above were the salon, not the galley.

OTOH, they quote the TA owner saying that a crew member felt a burner and checked the galley at about 2:30, which apparently was correct and the correct location. It wasn't a rebuttal, however, to not having a roving night watchperson, since that crew member then went to sleep, and there was no mention of checking anywhere else. He then woke up about 45 minutes later to a raging fire below.

I was pretty sure the 2 exits led to the salon, and the charging station was somewhere between the salon and dive deck, but not the galley. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was pretty sure the 2 exits led to the salon, and the charging station was somewhere between the salon and dive deck, but not the galley. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
What you are referring to as the "Galley" and the "Salon" was really the same enclosed area on that deck level. The "Galley" where the crew cooked and prepared meals was at the front, separated by a service counter from the rest of the area - the "Salon" if you like.

The main stairwell exited from below in front of the counter. The emergency exit from the bunk was towards the rear of the "Salon" but still inside by about 10'.

There was no charging station per se, other than available electrical outlets in various places throughout the "Salon".

Was there a determination of where the fire started given by the NTSB yet?

There was no charging station per se, other than available electrical outlets in various places throughout the "Salon".

The idea of an actual charging station came after this accident and the possibility of batteries causing the fire.

Also there were outlets in the berthing area as well.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom