Leg exercises

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed how people tend to work their upper bodies out farily good, but when it comes to working their legs and glutes that its hardly done at all? I never have a problem getting a leg press/sled, calf raise, or squat bar.

I've also noticed that when I do see people doing any sort of weight conditioning with their legs, its usually about the same as what they would be doing for their arms. Maybe I'm just a freak, but my leg workout is with 2x the weight of my arms and upper body.

What do ya'll do for leg strength building and endurance?

Oh yes, I see that all the time! its why long shorts have come into fashion.
at least when they look at their dresser mirror they are satisfied w/ the results.

Here's my leg workout (I do a chest/ triceps, Legs, and Back/ biceps split) bear in mind I weigh about 135lbs. Weight indicated is plates only, does not include weight of sleds or bars.

sets/reps/weight (lbs)

Squats (smith machine) 3/12/90
Leg Press 3/12/230
Single leg extension 3/12/30
Walking Lunges with deadlift 3/12/20 (2 10lb dumbells)
Kickbacks 3/12/45
Seated Leg Curl 3/12/75

I usually dedicate 2-3 days during the week for leg workouts. I love using the 45 degree sled, slapping on 6-8 45 pound plates and doing 4 12-rep presses and 12-rep calf raises. My dad always said that having a strong upper body is all well and good, but the foundation of strength is with your legs and abdominals. I like strengthening my lower back as well, just to cover the bases (and I've seen too many people with hurt backs, so any stretching or strength can only help in the long run).

I like to see people avoiding a routine- doing a specific split every week is OK, but the more you vary each workout, the longer you stay in the "adaptation" phase of muscle development.

Here's a short list of exercises to make several different leg workouts. Choose one from each group, and change your list every leg day. This template goes from biggest muscles to smallest, so that you are doing the most difficult exercises when you have the most energy to burn. Of course, if you are familiar with different exercises, you can use this template to help you with ordering.

Exercise 1: Compound Leg Movement
Bench Squat
Leg Press
Dumbbell Squat
Step Ups

Exercise 2: Quadriceps
Seated Leg Extension (Single or Double Legs)
Standing Leg Extension (on cables)
Standing Lunge
Walking Lunge

Exercise 3: Hamstrings
Prone Leg Curl (Single or Double Legs)
Standing Leg Curl (on cables)
Seated Leg Curl (in gyms that have this machine)
Bridges (Single or Double Legs)

Exercise 4: Adductors (Inner Thigh)
Adductor Machine
Cable Adduction

Exercise 5: Abductors (Outer Thigh)
Abductor Machine
Cable Abduction

Exercise 6: Gastrocnemius (Upper Calf)
Standing Calf Raise (Single or Double Leg)
Calf Press on Leg Press (Single or Double Leg)

Exercise 7: Soleus (Lower Calf)
Seated Calf Raise
Bent Knee Calf Press on Leg Press (Single or Double Leg)

When doing calf press on any leg press machine, make sure that either the seat adjustment or the safety stop on the sled are set up to limit how far the sled will drop if your feet slip off the platform. If you cannot adjust the machine so that your legs are mostly straight when you get into position (before lifting the sled off the safety stop), then don't do this exercise.

Why? If your feet slip and that sled drops to the lower safety stop, your kneecaps are going with it. I've seen pictures of this, and it's not pretty. I've also seen two close calls in the past year which resulted in pretty bad bruises and scrapes, but luckily nothing orthopedic.

Cameron

WOW.. now thats a serious leg work out. I thought I did pretty good with my leg curls and extensions, leg presses and calf raises. I really dont like the Adductor and Abdcutor work out, it makes my hip joints ache..

I'll have to see what I can do to with some of the other exercises and if I can work them into my workout scheme. :)

Chickdiver - I'm impressed, your not to far behind me with some of the weights :D

CBulla:
Maybe I'm just a freak, but my leg workout is with 2x the weight of my arms and upper body.
I've maxed out the leg extension and calf machines at the gym. Since they don't go any higher, I do more reps. I stop at 600lbs for leg presses because I don't think any more weight would be good for my knees. I try to keep my workouts short and heavy vs. long and light.

Right on.. I used to do 600-800+ with my legs back in my hay-day of cycling glory - I couldnt wear regular pants then either, nothing fit my legs. Now, older, I've tapered down to 350-360 (after a break from things for a few years that allowed my body to become a little more proportioned) on the sled and about 120-140 on the calves. I've even tapered back squats to 75-140#. One thing I've found in doing that is that I seem to have more longevity with cycling and swimming for distance where as before I was champion of the sprint, hill climbs or any sort of power swim.. but forget the distance past 100 yards swimming or 20-30 miles cycling. I was flat out whooped.

One thing I am noticing is that this 2:1 ratio of 2x the weight for legs as is done for upper body has given me a good balance in not just work out, but in strength for my activities. My diving has benefitted the most with regards to clambering in and out of the water with all my gear on regardless of the type of dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom