Left handed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am left hander here. I just don't think diving equipment setup can be define as left or right handed. Each hand has it own things to do. Primary donation is right hand's job just because most 2nd stage hose come from right side and becomes the norm. Inflator and dump valve are left hand's job because they are on the left side. .. Even if you can swap the locations of those things, both hands still get their own job to do.

When you inflate, I would think you use your right hand 80-99% of the time?

whichever hand that is available at the moment. But naturally left.

Anotther comment is by left hand vs right handed, it is just one hand does detail precision stuff better than the other. It is not like the non-dominate hand is useless, right? inflating, deflating, or donating 2nd stage are not action that needs super precise movement, so either hand should do just fine IMO.

When you inflate, I would think you use your right hand 80-99% of the time?

Why would you think that? The inflator is on my left side. I'd have to reach across my chest to get my right hand on it.

left hander too-my set up is - for sidemount, i have the long hose on the left -dc on left, torch on right, slate on right

One could argue a scuba rig is setup better for a left handed diver. For a typical textbook recreational dive, you literally don't use your right hand at all and use your left hand a few times throughout the dive to establish neutral buoyancy with the left side inflator.

It's a non issue. Set your rig up like everyone else, including lefties.

I am left handed and much like others have mentioned, my gear is set up as per the "industry norm". (I am a recreational diver.) When learning to dive, I never gave a second thought to setting up or using my gear in any other way. You are learning some skills that are very new to you. My advice would be to not over complicate the process. If it does not seem natural now, it soon will.

I’m left handed. Forget about right/left handed, it’s just standardized and different sides for different things had to be set. BC dump on the left shoulder, primary over the right shoulder, etc. Switching everything around is a needless nightmare. Nothing requires surgical dexterity. I can write on a slate with either hand, strap it on either arm, don’t care. If for any reason I need to adjust your BC to safely get you topside due to a medical event etc. don’t make it anymore difficult than it needs to be.

Why would you think that? The inflator is on my left side. I'd have to reach across my chest to get my right hand on it.
Interesting side note. If I'm holding my catch bag with my left hand and its full of fish/scallops/shells, etc., I will on rare occasions reach across with my right hand to adjust the inflator (rather than switch the bag to my right hand).

Now that I think about it, I probably do use my right hand occasionally, if I have my arms crossed over my chest.

The only "handedness" issue I have with dive gear is the camera controls and strap are made for the righties. That, and I may thread my cambands the other way around occasionally, but that doesn't bother anyone.

Back
Top Bottom