Left handed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a newbie as well but I'm a huge proponent of muscle memory. I was a competitive fighter, I can do horrible things to people with my eyes closed. I was a cop, had to do things very quickly with no light under stressful situations. I put the same things in the same place for a reason. I've had 1 situation under water I needed to help someone and while keeping my attention on 1 thing grab her inflator to solve a simultaneous problem, and didn't have to look to do it, which would have slowed things down. Had she been configured opposite of standard, it would have caused issues. Instead of a PROBLEM, she had a problem and we got it taken care of.

As long as I dove with the same people that knew my gear, I'll configure it differently. If im with someone that doesnt, I'd be more comfortable keeping things where the can easily find them. The rest of it like cutters etc you can put anywhere you want that works best for you, there's no standard I'm aware of and it wouldn't matter if there was. But I'd like the important stuff to be where I'd expect it to be if I trying to help you.

It’s true that a lot of scuba stuff is ambidextrous... except when it’s not, like reaching for a cutting implement. This might make you want a BC where you can move things around, like a backplate and wing with web belt harness that is completely customizable.

These kinds of little placement tweaks matter sometimes. And things domino. For example I would not be able to wear my hosed air integrated console on the right if I did not have an air2, because if I had an octo on the right that would be three hoses on the right. If I decided to have an octo on the right, say bungied under my neck, I would want to get a wrist mounted computer for my right hand that spoke to a transmitter for air integration, and that’s a lot more expensive than my current computer.

The original poster is smart to ask these questions now and think about the stuff before he buys things that he might not like because he is left-handed.
Your Air2 argument is fair in terms of it's going on the left whether you like it or not. Better for left handed divers, but if someone cannot manage gear with both hands, diving really is the wrong sport for them and I would not want to be their buddy. As for the knife. Golden triangle. Put it wherever you want. I don't recall ever seeing a BC that had only one specific place for a dive knife.

Back
Top Bottom