LED25 LED burning out, what are my options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trimmatters

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all.

Having noticed a growing dark spot on the cave walls from my otherwise fantastic Hollis LED25, I inspected the LED chip and discovered it had a circle of burned out diodes in the middle. Reflecting back, I believe this has been going on for a while.

I took the light into my LDS for assessment of my options. Turns out, I don't have any.

Oceanic Australia said there were no service parts available in Australia for the light but I could purchase some other product at a discount price.

What rubbish.

The light is 18 months old.

Hoping a Hollis representative, or other forum members, can give me some better options than throwing away a very expensive bit of kit after just 18 months of use.

You could find a place that is capable of replacing the LED. I'm guessing it is a surface mount part so it will take a bit of skill to replace. I have no idea of they made the light head serviceable. If it is potted, repair at the circuit board level may be very difficult.

There is no need of me going into my history (or others) with the LED25, do a search and you will realize that you are better off to throw it out and get a real light. Cut your losses now before putting any more money into it.

There is no need of me going into my history (or others) with the LED25, do a search and you will realize that you are better off to throw it out and get a real light. Cut your losses now before putting any more money into it.

Any suggestions re cutting losses?

I seriously have never heard anyone say Hollis is quality gear. They seem to not be very innovative either. From all I have seen they basically just change a few things and use their large size to push some crap out to their large dealer base that is a knockoff and of lesser quality of the original item they are copying. Their latest bc the Katana is a prime example of this. Personally I would raise hell with them and try to get a replacement. If that doesn't work just buy a new light of better quality from a manufacturer that will stand behind their product in your neck of the woods.

what did the Katana knock off? Owning one, and having evaluated most of the rigs on the market, I don't think they knocked anyone off. It is similar to the Nomad JT/LT/LTZ, but unlike all of those it actually works out of the box...

This light is a blatant knock off of the Light Monkey and it wasn't done very well, no one is going to argue with it because there is too much evidence saying otherwise.

If you happen to have the Hollis LED15 that was actually a LED16, then you really have a good light. This light was manufactured by Light Monkey for Hollis and does not come with the Hollis failures and crap customer service.

My girlfriend has one, it has been a great light, and Light Monkey will still service it when she does something foolish like let the latch pop open or cut the cord.

I'm pleased with my Light Monkey 21W LED.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom