LED 3 Battery Corrosion Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamarketing

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I've had my LED 3 for not quite a year now and when I went to dive it this weekend, it was on dimly even when fully closed, then went to full brightness when backed off. I opened it up, it popped when I opened it, and one of the batteries appears to have corroded. Is this something I can just clean up on my own or what should I do with this?

Yes, as you've discovered it's not good to leave batteries in lights for more than a few months. I tend to open mine every month or so just to let any gas that may have accumulated out. I'd try cleaning it myself depending where the corrosion is. Can you post pictures? If you want an official response your best bet would be to call them. I've found posting and emailing to be rather hit and miss, with more miss than hit.

I'll post some pics when I'm done working today. I still appear to be under the year warranty assuming it covers such things. I'll hit them up directly, thanks for the advice.

not to be offending, but how is routine maintenance of disposable goods like batteries (which they have no control of) supposed to be covered by a manufacturer warranty?

I'll post some pics when I'm done working today. I still appear to be under the year warranty assuming it covers such things. I'll hit them up directly, thanks for the advice.

I think you might be out of luck on a warranty.

---------- Post added June 3rd, 2014 at 10:39 AM ----------

Oops didn't read your post first, sorry for the repetition.

not to be offending, but how is routine maintenance of disposable goods like batteries (which they have no control of) supposed to be covered by a manufacturer warranty?

No offense taken. I've never had this issue in any other light I've owned in 15+ years and nowhere in the manual does it say the light needs to be off gassed. Of course now I know differently. And had the manual said to do it and I didn't and had a problem, I can see it being out of warranty. Hopefully working for a big Hollis dealer, teaching for several others, being a Hollis OC repair tech, and being outfit head to toe in Hollis gear will help encourage them to help me out this time too :)

Here's some pics, sorry about the quality, my regular camera died on my and trying to get iPhone shots inside a light is surprisingly difficult :)

Hollis LED3 1.jpgHollis LED3 2.jpgHollis LED3 3.jpgHollis LED3 4.jpg

It all appears to just be surface damage, but I'd rather not damage it more.

And a minor follow up to why I think this is strange and hopefully covered under warranty: I actually got two of these at the exact same time, both used the exact same amount (only during gear matching pre-dive), and both stored identically, but the other one is perfectly fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom