LED 1000 or HID 1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BombTech

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking at purchasing my first canister light. I'm looking for some input on whether to go with the Dive Rite 1000 Lumen HID or 1000 Lumen LED LUX. The diving I do consists of quarries in the Virginia area and wreck dives in North Carolina and Virginia Beach. So my viz can be anywhere between 10ft and 100ft which is the problem in making my choice. Any help is definatley appreciated.

Mike

At 10W the difference between the two lights (effectively) is minimal. I'd go with the better value (read $$) and construction if you are sticking with 10W. If you choose LED, the added bonus will be longer burn time (average).

Just a minor note for your consideration. The Dive Rite LED 1000 is actually 975 lumens (per Dive Rite).

Now if you go 21W + then I still definitely prefer HID. LED is making solid inroads but cannot yet match higher power HID.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

1000 lumen HID is focusable, so you can get an overall narrower, or wider beam for whatever you'd like. At the narrow side of things, the HID will penetrate further.

LED LUX has a set angled beam, which isn't terribly narrow, but ample for my uses. Its bright enough for me. Your uses and what you expect as far as brightness might be different. The biggest benefit for the LED use is how robust it is...

I was on my 5th bulb on my HID when I sold it. The damned things start really eating away at your bank account if you are rough on them.

They did when Salvo was still around. I have a 12 watt LED rebel with 6 degree beam angle and like laser underwater. It will hold up to any 10 watt I've yet run across and beat it and it holds it's own with some higher powered ones up to 18watt.

i am also looking for a primary with the ability to have an adjustable beam..
HID is just to fragile i think for me... I would rather make a one time purchase than make a bad decision..thx..

I was in your shoes serveral months back. I opted for a HID 1000 becuase it carries a further punch for signaling. Besides, the DR Hid replacement bulb can be had for about $40 new if know where to look.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom