Torch recommendation - diving wrecks in Coron

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hotsong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
First time posting, looking for some advice on torches. Travelling to Tubbataha Reef and Coron in the Philippines in June, and looking to upgrade my torch, specifically for the wreck diving in Coron where viz won’t be so great. Have my deep and wreck qualifications, pretty much recreational diving but looking to work to tech at some point for more wreck diving, although not in the immediate near term:

Based in Australia and looking at the following options (but open to others):

BigBlue TL4800L – overkill?
BigBlue TL3500P – seems great value, and probably what I’m leaning towards.
BigBlue VTL4200P –combination wide and spot beam, but more expensive than the rest because it’s not on sale.
Mares 20RZ (adjustable beam) – 2300 lux, adjustable beam angle. Seems like a solid choice that can't go wrong.

Any other suggestions?

Currently have a Hyperion 1000 lumen torch which I’d retain as a backup. Thanks.

no such thing as too much light - i have the BBlue 3500 and its fantastic for penetration diving and burning out corneas.

downside it bulky and if your carrying multiple tanks its hard to get your hand down to clip/unclip

if it died id get an even brighter one with variable beam

Big Blue lights don't have the best reputation on here. They over exaggerate the actual output of their lights.
(example, the TL4800L is closer to 2400) message tbone1004 about them.
I have 2 Kraken NR-2000 lights. NR-2000 - Kraken Sports

Nanight Sport 2 (possibly with a different/better goodman handle). Good lights made in Sweden not China.

theres a few Big blue dealers in australia go to the shop and try them out to compare i have no complaints with mine -ive had it 6 years done about 600 dives still goes great

I don't recall needing a light at Coron, but maybe you're going into the wrecks and we only did a few, what I would call swimthroughs. There's certainly plenty to see without penetrating the wrecks and, of course, a light is always useful. It's not great vis around the wrecks, but not bad either....maybe 10m.

theres a few Big blue dealers in australia go to the shop and try them out to compare i have no complaints with mine -ive had it 6 years done about 600 dives still goes great
I did look at a couple of Big Blue torches earlier this week in the shop, I didn't love the form factor, the handle was a bit thick and short ergomically, and my hands aren't all that large - but the big output appealed. Mares seemed a better fit ergonomically (although they only had the 15RZ in stock).

I've read comments about BigBlue not having the output they say they have, so not sure what I'm comparing. From your experience, sounds like plenty powerful enough for anything I'd use it for and the amount of diving I do.

I'll check out the Kraken recommended above as well. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom