Leaving for Fiji - Baggage limits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seattitude

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are leaving for Fiji on Air Pacific in a couple of days. First flying to Suva, then Taveuni and back with Air Pacific. They say you can take two bags at 50 lbs each. The stricter seems to be with the luggage measurements. We are allowed a total of 106" - that is for height & width & length for both bags. That and the largest bag can only measure 62" total. My dive bag is pushing the 62". That only leaves me with 44" for my other bag - not very much. I was wondering if anyone has recently taken a flight with Air Pacific and seen them actually measure a bag? I don't remember ever checking in a bag (except once with Are Lingus) and see them measure. :idk:

Thanks for you help.

Aloha, I just flew from HNL to Nadi to Taveuni and back last week. No one measured our luggage anywhere and we were not charged over limit fees this time on weight (we were a little over). Last time I did the same trip, I was charged only on the Nadi-Taveuni flight but not returning and not on any of the longer flights. My experience in traveling with Air Pacific and to and from Fiji (nine times and counting!) is that enforcement is different every day, every minute, depending on the moon, the stars, and the mood of your desk agent. If you're going to travel with baggage that is outside the limits, be prepared to pay and then be grateful if you don't have to. Have fun!

We flew to Fiji and back from LA last October on Air Pacific. After trying to maximize the volume within the total measurements (a square is the most efficient) from our luggage choices, at the airport they paid attention to the weight but I did not see anybody actually taking measurements.

We received a reply to an email from Air Pacific giving us the baggage allowances and they were as stated above. The one difference is that they say in the email that they allow a personal item as a second carry on. Did you find this to be true? We plan to print the email and take it with us to the airport just in case.

When I called Air Pacific I was told that I could take 1 carry on and 1 personal item - the same as every other airline. I was also told that we don't have to pay for our checked on luggage. Yeah! Most airlines baggage policies are certainly not diver friendly. :blinking:

Where are you staying on Taveuni? We are leaving on April 3 for Fiji and are staying at Nakia Resort. When will you return from your trip to Fiji? I would love to hear from you then, especially if it is before we leave.

Where are you staying on Taveuni? We are leaving on April 3 for Fiji and are staying at Nakia Resort. When will you return from your trip to Fiji? I would love to hear from you then, especially if it is before we leave.

We are staying at Paradise Taveuni. We get back from Fiji om March 18th. I would love to share any information and photos with you. Now I have got to get back to my packing. :D

we are leaving in april and our concern is you are only allowed 7kg / 15lbs for carry on whick in our case is 1reg set , 3mm full wet suit and mini laptop = 12lbs that leaves 3 lbs for bathing suit and clothes , im wondering whether my camercase which weights 22lbs will qualify as a personal item

Remember the domestic flights will have different weight limits. Check with the airlines and resorts if you expect to have have weight problems.

I have not been to Fiji for a number of years but I do recall that for domestic flights they used a large floor scale that weighed you and all your luggage as the domestic planes are very small, so they need to know exactly how much weight is going on them.

Also remember, Air Pacific code shares with American Airlines (and QANTAS) so you can get frequent flyer miles on American, but you must be a frequent flyer member before the flight, I didn't know this and lost out on a 11,000 miles.

On your last day in Fiji which is a non-diving day you might want to visit the Orchid Gardens (The Garden of the Sleeping Giant) just a short distance north of Nadi airport. They are quite extensive and originally belonged to the American Actor Raymond Burr (Perry Mason, Ironsides) Well worth a visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom