Least expensive warm water diving for a few weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cayman Brac is about as inexpensive as it gets. You can rent a house for less then a grand a week. I've seen homes for rent 2500 the whole month. Cook all you want, food isn't that much more than anywhere else. No crime, you won't get killed, raped or robbed. The water is bacteria and fece free, no bellyaches. Always fresh seafood; lobster, conch and fish or spear your own Lion fish dinners. Shore dive all day, everyday, for about 10 dollars a tank. Sunny all the time, people and the weather. There are no fast food restaurants, malls, amusement parks, or golf courses which makes it a perfect place to vacation. It's Holy water I tell you. Cheers

M0013338.jpg

Attachments

• M0012837.jpg
    M0012837.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 591
Last edited:
Frankly, I'd shoot myself after more than 8-10 days on Bonaire. Though I think it's easier to do budget diving on Bonaire than Curacao... since Bonaire is set up for maximizing diving dollars. My experiennce having been to both several times is that you can get lodging just as cheap in one or the other. I'm lucky that we have direct flights to either from Newark.

Where Bonaire is concerned, be mindful that round trip airfare doesn't vary whether you stay one week or three, and is basically averaged over the trip. The longer you stay, the less of a factor airfare is, since that cost is fixed but the cost of lodging, diving, vehicle rental & food rise as long as you stay.

A budget option on Bonaire is the Dive Hut. Pretty basic & not waterfront, but a way to save some money. For a few, costs me a few hundred more to stay at Buddy Dive Resort. But being on the water with a good house reef, I do a good number of night dives, and maybe an extra day dive or two, so I get more dives in that week. I like both. Depends on what I want which I pick. Remember that shore diving Bonaire you don't need to tip anybody. Boat diving pretty much anywhere in the Caribbean, you probably ought to tip. That adds up...

Here's a 2012 Dive Hut trip report.

Since Curacao and Bonaire are both possibilities, I recommend you do a Search with both those terms, and read the many threads debating their relative merits. Each is preferred by some, neither by all. And there are apparently some real differences. Let me share a 'Bonaire workflow' based out of Buddy Dive Resort.

1.) Arrive at airport, picked up & taken to resort, rent truck onsite, next morning do orientation & get $25 marine park tag. Buffet breakfast included.

2.) Get up when I feel like it, go load gear & tanks (EAN 32 nitrox at no extra charge) in the back up the pickup truck, head north. Hit 2 sites; maybe Andrea I & II?

3.) Go back to room, swap tanks , rinse off in the shower, eat simple lunch from grocery store (e.g.: fruit cocktail, PB&J sandwich, chips & soda) from Zhung Kong Supermarket (which is right up the road).

4.) Head south & hit 2 sites.

5.) Return to room, clean up, eat at Buddy's restaurant on site (since over 8 trips I've figured out most everywhere I go I get shrimp calamari appetizer & 'Catch of the Day' entree, anyway). Finish chewing while mulling over whether to do an evening/night dive on house reef. Don't feel like it. Consider when I get back home, I'll wish I had taken bigger advantage while on the trip. So I do it.

4 To 5 dives/day, no tipping, evening meal is expensive but the rest aren't, a tank of gas for the week will probably run around $80 maybe?

Of course, Bonaire could 'get old' after a couple of weeks straight.

As to the Florida Keys, I've heard repeatedly that the best diving is in the upper Keys. So I hit Key Largo - my Sept. 2013 trip report. I found Rainbow Reef Dive Center's 10 trip, 20 dive package deal ($600 + tax & tips) about the cheapest boat diving I've ever done. Saying at the hotel beside it, I did 2 trips (4 dives)/day. 20 Dives in 5 days. Suh-weet! Airfare from Nashville much cheaper than Bonaire, flying to Ft. Lauderdale & driving to Key Largo. More topside entertainments (e.g.: zoos, Lion Country Safari, Jungle Island, and so forth) if you're willing to drive awhile.

Quick comparison:

1.) Bonaire has better viz. than Key Largo.
2.) Key Largo has more 'big stuff' besides tarpon.
3.) Bonaire is often lauded for being 'fishy.' 8 Trips to Bonaire, 1 to Key Largo, I think Key Largo was fishier...
4.) The glory of Bonaire is shore diving. The Keys are almost exclusively boat diving.
5.) Bonaire has interesting topography (e.g.: mountainous to the north, flat to the south, shrubby with a lot of thorny vegetation; there's a donkey sanctuary) topside.
6.) Key Largo connects to mainland U.S.A. so it has overwhelmingly more land-based attractions within, say, 2 hours drive.
7.) Over a period of a few weeks, I think a Bonaire trip will get cheaper than a Key Largo trip, since I'm guessing lodging + vehicle rental + diving + food cost less in total in Bonaire, & airfare is a fixed cost. But run your own numbers.

One more option, although I can hardly imagine being stuck on a boat (even a yacht) over 2 weeks - Blackbeard's Live-Aboard, at around a grand for a week (plus tips) with fairly cheap airfare to the Bahamas, sounds like as close to dirt cheap good conditions ocean diving as you're going to get. Be mindful the Bahamas' water gets cold in the winter time.

Richard.

P.S.: Someone made a good point about per diver vs per unit pricing. The Courtyard Marriott was fine for me because I had 2 non-diving adults & a baby daughter in the room with me. Traveling alone vs. with at least one roommate has a big impact on cost.

Curacao is generally a cheaper option than Bonaire since most flights to Bonaire stop there first.

The additional airfare to Bonaire is almost nothing compared to the whole cost of a 2 week trip. I think it was just over $100 round trip last time I went. Also, you can connect through Curracao or through Aruba. Sometimes the fare is better to one or the other - sometimes it's the total trip time - sometimes both.

When I go to Bonaire I'm looking to spend as little per day as possible so I can stay for 2-3 weeks. Here's how I do it:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I stay at Coco Palm Garden [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.cocopalmgarden.org/CocoPalmEnglish.html[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]). Apartments with a full kitchen, bathroom, living area, bedroom, patio with grill (charcoal). AC at extra cost but usually unnecessary in the winter. Apartments are in an enclosed area and are quiet. Coco Palm brings in a local restaurant to provide a $10 buffet on tues & thurs evenings when 10 or more renters are interested. The Mirasol apartment is a mere $64/night. There are others in the $80/night range.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I have them arrange my truck and unlimited air packages as they have always beat what I could find on my own. Their driver will pick you up at the airport and take you to Coco or your vehicle rental depending on time of arrival. If you get in too late for vehicle pick-up the truck rental will deliver next morning. The location is just across the main north/south road about at Bachelors’ Beach (mid island N/S). I believe the community is Belnham. Convenient to get into Kralendijk, the markets/gas, northern or southern dive sites. Air is through Dive Friends Bonaire - five locations spread north and south - pick up and drop off at any location [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.dive-friends-bonaire.com/[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]. If you are Nitrox certified the upgrade is free.[/FONT] Cost for unlimited air is about $160/week.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Most of the resort dive shops allow you to dive their house reef - either for free or for a small fee (≈ $6). There are over 90 shore diving sites and boat dives can be [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]alacart[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] or done as a package. Two tank boat dives with Dive Friends are about $50-$60) if you are getting an air package with them. No problem whatsoever with diving solo. All things considered I don't think it can be beat.[/FONT]

I love this conversation! Thank you for all the input. I can not be the only one that lives someplace with less diving (I have not made up my mind if I am ever going in Lake Mead in Vegas) and just loves diving. Most of my diving must be a trip out of town and it tends to add up. I am sure so many ppl have mulled over just one more dive trip this year...even if it is on a budget.

I often read old posts here and I am sure others will read this one as I have never seen it covered. Budget and Scuba = oxymoron? Hah. It's also interesting how relevant older posts stay on this site.

I am researching everything everyone said as I love all the ideas. They are also valid for my less budgeted trips.

My first Bonaire experience will be March 21st so I guess I will have more input. I am fairly well read on it now but I loved drrich2's blow by blow of what to do. I may just copy and paste that in OneNote and do it in a few weeks. I am staying at Buddy's that trip.

I have done days of diving in the Upper Keys, which was wonderful! I think it got me hooked on wrecks! This summer I am hitting a few Hawaiian Islands and I am focusing on the wrecks on Oahu for some of the dives. Yeah I saw quite a few big things in the Upper Keys. LOVED it and if I do not pick that for the summer I hope to do 4 or 5 days after Christmas. Sadly that seems to be a huge time in the Keys. The main road was stop and go this last year. I stayed in Tavernier with plans to go check out Key West but who was to spend several hours on stop and go traffic only to deal with all the crowds once you get to Key West? So if I go in the summer I could explore lower.

I see so many nice options! Thank you!

Quite a bit of this depends on your cost of getting there. The Florida Keys are pretty much only boat diving and that drives up the cost. Cozumel, Roatan, Utila, and Bonaire can all be inexpensive depending on how basic you are willing to go.

Budget is relative to other desires.

Wannadive on Bonaire is $160 for one week all the shore diving you can do and this is Nitrox tanks - - Versus up to $130 for a two tank boat dive at other locales. That's a hell of a difference on four dives a day over a week.

Staying away from the water as Kharon indicated can cut your on island costs in half in a heart beat. If you must have a water view then you can't cost compare with someone who does not need that.

Eat out all meals or eat in all meals with PB&J for lunch. Major cost difference.

PatW is correct as far as I am concerned - it's all about the cost of getting there. If you can snatch an airfare deal your are way up on the cost of the trip.
Sometimes the bag drag from Cancun to Cozumel can save hundreds. Sometimes its cheaper to fly to Cozumel.

Point is - budget is directly proportional to more than just the diving.

St Thomas has a lot of wrecks - Blue Island Divers Dive SItes
All boat diving there except for Coki Beach though. Coki Dive Center

From there you can go over to St. John via the fast ferry in time to dive the signature BVI wreck - the RMS Rhone with Low Key if they have enough demand - all day trip over to the BVI's from there. Low Key Watersports - Diving in St. John, US Virgin Islands

Not the cheapest accommodations either but you can find deals on condos sometimes. The BVI's are pricier except for Tortola. Most people fly into St. Thomas then use the fast ferries to get to any of the other islands. You can pretty much get to any of them in under 2hrs - one of the ferry ports is 10mins. from the airport downtown. Virgin Islands Ferry Schedule

If you ever decide to dive Lake Mead - dive Lake Mohave instead...I've lived in Phoenix 3 decades and haven't so far felt the need to dive in cold green water.

Roatan/Utila might be hard to beat for boat diving. On Roatan, you can stay at a hostel for almost nothing or water frontish hotels for like $50/night. Boat dives are like $25-$30 per tank

I have done days of diving in the Upper Keys, which was wonderful! I think it got me hooked on wrecks! This summer I am hitting a few Hawaiian Islands and I am focusing on the wrecks on Oahu for some of the dives...

If you like wrecks then be sure to check out the Hilma Hooker on Bonaire. It can be done as a shore dive but I find it easier as a boat dive.

There is a nice wreck dive off of Cayman Brac, a sunken Russian Frigate. See below for the dive, food, hotel package offered by the Brac Reef Beach Resort. It's a great deal at US $1590 and that includes all of your expenses except airfare and tips for the dive staff. The hotel is great, the food is abundant and delicious, the diving is excellent, and the dive op is superb.

I love Brac but it is a small, quiet island so I don't know if you would want to stay there for 2 weeks. There's plenty of stuff to do on Grand Cayman but it is an expensive location. The diving on CB is better than GC (IMO) but there are some good dives including less expensive shore diving options on GC and they have the Kittiwake, a sunken US sub tender wreck dive (a boat dive). There is also a lot of good snorkeling off GC and it is free but you will need a rental car.

If you are pricing any trip to the Caymans be sure to check the currency. Some places (like BRBR below) list prices in US currency but many list in Caymanian dollars - and the US dollar is only worth 0.75 cents in the Caymans - so that adds to the cost!

CLEARLY CAYMAN PACKAGE

Valid for travel January 3 – December 16 2015
7 Nights Accommodations
Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
Three Drinks Nightly
17 Boat Dives
Airport Ground Transfers
Free Welcome Rum Punch
Hotel Taxes & Service Fees
$1590 per person double occupancy
Brac Reef Beach Resort | Cayman Brac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/