Least expensive warm water diving for a few weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Philippines was super cheap of you know how to haggle. the best deal I got was for the wreck dives in coron: about $20-25 per dive for boat dives, all equipment rental, AMAZING lunch (we're talking whole grilled fish, crab curry etc), and beers on the boat after the last dive. We also had an aircon ensuite room for $14 a night due to packaging diving and accommodation.

We've been to Bonaire for several 2-week trips and loved it, what's wrong with spending time on Bonaire, it's fabulous! Wish we could have spent more time there!

I would agree, there is no other Caribbean Island that I would rather be on during my Surface Intervals.

The concept here is about spending time off of the island...while engaged in diving. Bonaire and most of the rest of the Caribbean will fit that requirement... For some, for a while.

You really want the best bang for your buck? Everyone is suggest Bonaire and Curaçao and mentioned they are off the coast of Venezuela. As a gringo living in Venezuela, I assure you that the cheapest warm-water Caribbean diving is here. To put it in perspective, I just paid about $200 for a week of diving and a posada on the beautiful island of Los Roques. I had two meals cooked daily for me, including fresh lobster. I understand that people are afraid of Venezuela but places like Los Roques are safe if you use common sense. It is a paradise underwater here in Venezuela, and let's just be thankful that the government can't control the reefs and gorgeous weather.

Egypt! 900 USD airfare from USA east coast and 900 for a week of liveaboard. For under 2000 you are getting way better diving that Caribbean and you are getting more dives plus eating in the same price. No car rental needed.

Cayman Brac is about as inexpensive as it gets. You can rent a house for less then a grand a week. I've seen homes for rent 2500 the whole month. Cook all you want, food isn't that much more than anywhere else. No crime, you won't get killed, raped or robbed. The water is bacteria and fece free, no bellyaches. Always fresh seafood; lobster, conch and fish or spear your own Lion fish dinners. Shore dive all day, everyday, for about 10 dollars a tank. Sunny all the time, people and the weather. There are no fast food restaurants, malls, amusement parks, or golf courses which makes it a perfect place to vacation. It's Holy water I tell you. Cheers

View attachment 203061

Vincent - I've been to GCM lots and love it. I didn't know there was much shore diving on Brac. Good to know.

Can you provide a link or two to the rentals you referenced?

Thanks!

Great info on this thread! To those who are recommending Cayman Brac, how does the shore diving compare to Bonaire in terms of the quality of dive sites?

Has anyone tried Resorts World Bimini? There is a ferry from Miami to the resort and the best rate I can find in the hotel is $120 a night.

Vincent - I've been to GCM lots and love it. I didn't know there was much shore diving on Brac. Good to know.

Can you provide a link or two to the rentals you referenced?

Thanks!
Here is a nice home for rent that is about 2 grand a month, Beacon Harbor, Cayman Brac northside,... - VRBO Make an offer. Airbnb is another link that has Brac rentals. All dives sites on Brac are accessible from shore, some require more swimming than others. The beach front is crown property, just ask permission if you cross private property to get to water. Relax, Brackers are about the sweetest people in the world and always help if you need assistance.

The South Wall on Brac is steep and deep, beautiful and some of the prettiest diving in the Caribbean. There are some shallower areas east, and north. All shore dives.

My comparison with Bonaire is the length of swim to the sites and wind. Bonaire is pretty special , it seemed to be easier to get to the reef areas and was always mirror flat. Wind affects Brac more and it is windy 4 of 7 days. The shape of Brac leaves very little protected areas, mostly around the northwest. Both reefs seem healthy. If it matters, I found more eels, frogfish and seahorses in Bonaire. Brac has them, but I have yet to find a frogfish there. Either choice is right.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom