Learning to dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bryan Cunningham

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Learning to Dive.

Many prospective divers I speak to have not taken up the sport due to the misconception that it is difficult, takes a long time and costs a fortune. Wrong on all three accounts.

1. Difficulty: You need to be reasonable healthy and able to swim a distance of 100 meters at a relaxing pace. There are certain medical conditions that may require a doctor’s approval, and here is a link to a PADI medical questionnaire. MEDICAL QUESTIONAIRE. Most students I have taught were surprised that they found SCUBA diving so much easier than snorkeling.
  2. Training time: A full SCUBA certification valid for life, allowing you to dive to 18m/60ft with a buddy, takes only 4 days. This can be broken down into segments to suite your needs and time restraints. I will discuss this under “Training Options”. You can spread your training over many sessions with up to a year between sessions. You can also use multiple instructors and dive operations, each signing off sessions as you complete them.
  3. Costs: When you compare the costs of learning to dive to that of a golf pro, it is really affordable. You would happily pay $100/hour for a golf or tennis pro. You can learn to dive, including all rental equipment, training sessions, study material, 4 fun ocean dives and certification fees for around $400. This may cost more as you spread out your training. You can even give it a try free at many resorts in the Caribbean, or local dive shops in Canada and the USA.

With so many training options, schedules and agencies, many find it daunting finding where to begin. In the following paragraphs I am going to simplify this by breaking it down for you. I will discuss TRAINING AGENCIES, TRAINING OPTIONS and TRAINING DESTINATIONS.

TRAINING AGANCIES.

There are numerous agencies to choose from, but they all teach the same thing. How to dive. Many instructors are bias towards their agencies and proclaim them to be the best. I am an instructor for most of the main agencies including PADI, NAUI, SDI, IDF, IANTD, TDI and Universal. The standards that govern most scuba training are set by the International Recreational Scuba Training Council (IRSTC). So it’s all basically the same.

What does make the difference is your instructor. How thorough he is as well as how patient he is. The quality of the equipment you train in. Safety and above all comfort are major factors on your early dives. Finally your environment you train in. Pools to beach for confined water skills training. Cold lakes and quarries or warm Caribbean waters for your 4 qualifying dives. Your training schedule. Some people prefer to dive in and get it done in a few days, others prefer to complete training over a longer time period.

TRAINING OPTIONS.

Learning to dive is comprised of three main components. Academics, Skills training (confined water) and Ocean Dives (open water)

1. Academics: The academics in learning to dive is not rocket science. You can choose to complete the training in a classroom, or in your own time online. Most training agencies offer the online option. SSI offer it free. But you must choose your dive school before beginning your training as you results will go to your instructor.
  2. Skills training: This is where you actually learn to dive. You are taught to set up your equipment, use it, swim and dive in it and practice many simple safety skills. All this should be conducted in “confined water”. That is any body of water shallow enough to stand up in, and cordoned off from boat traffic. It can be completed in a pool or off a beach. It is divided into 4 or 5 sessions that may be conducted back to back before your open water dives. I can also be broken up into segments and dispersed between dives.
  3. Open Water dives: This is where you put your training into practice. Your open water dives are lead by and instructor with small groups of 4-8 divers at a time. Dives 1 and 2 are to a maximum depth of 40ft/12m and dives 3 and 4 are to a maximum of 60ft/18m. You will practice some of the skills you learnt for a few minutes of each dive, but they are mainly fun dives with your instructor rounding off rough edges and helping you perfect your diving.

TRAINING DESTINATIONS.

There are many options for you to choose from in training, and even more for destinations. I would recommend saving valuable holiday time and doing you academic and confined water training at home. But save yourselves from the cold lakes/quarries and complete you open water dives in the Caribbean. You want to choose a destination with interesting, yet easy dive conditions, and a reputable dive operation.

WHERE WE COME IN.

1. I have trained over 1000 divers in my diving career. I am more than happy to council individuals on the best training options for them. This depends on your comfort level, financial situation and time constraints. I will also find and vet a local dive operation for you, as well as suggest a training agency based on your training option selected.
  2. Having lived and travelled throughout the Caribbean for 11 years (as well as other worldwide destinations), I have built up a network of reputable, safe dive operations. I will help you select the ideal destination and dive operator to complete your training. I will arrange your training with the operator so as to avoid confusion, and ensure all your documentation is in order.
  3. Once certified, I will continue to suggest and arrange your dive trips according to your interests in diving.

Time to learn to dive. It’s safe, fun and a very easy sport to get into.

Shouldn't that be "swim a distance of 200 meters"? Don't forget the 10 minute float too.

Recreational depth "limit" if you're over 18 is 130'. 60' is a recommendation not a limit.

I always tell people that the certification might never expire but your skills degrade quickly if you don't use them! If you have not been diving in a while, a refresher is a great idea.

... learn to dive. It’s safe, fun and a very easy sport to get into.

Unless I'm mistaken, you're preachin' to the choir.

Is this pulled from your website, something you'd like feedback on for purposes of improving your customer reach, or what?

Unless I'm mistaken, you're preachin' to the choir.

Is this pulled from your website, something you'd like feedback on for purposes of improving your customer reach, or what?

Not necessarily, seeing as this is posted in the "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" section. I know before I got certified, I came across this board. So we are out there. But most of us probably just lurk.

Back
Top Bottom