Learning to dive in Fiji - recommendations please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ellie100

Reaction score
Hi all

This is my first time here. Sorry if this is a frequent question, I've had a look back through the board and didn't see it asked.

Me and my other half will be in Fiji for 3 weeks in April and would like to spend some time learning to scuba dive - we've done the Discover Scuba course and a couple of accompanied dives so we're thinking of doing a course and getting qualified.

No distinct plans as to where in Fiji we're going to be when we get there (we're backpacking) so open forum really: any recommendations of great diving outfits in Fiji? Somewhere friendly, safe, reliable - oh, and cheap would be good, though less important than the others!

Best of all would be somewhere operating from a beautiful island location. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Ellie

I too will be in Fiji in April. This will be my second visit there so I learned a bit from last year's mistakes.
Beqa Lagoon is fantastic...although I'm not sure it would be a good choice for learning. There was considerable current at the sites I dived last year and it got a bit rough topside. But it's a big lagoon and there are probably sheltered spots.
My other choices for this year are Taveuni and Matamanoa. Taveuni especially comes highly recommended but again, some sites at least have current.
This year I'm going with Aqua-Trek all the way. Their office in San Francisco has been great about making arrangements the way I want them and their dive personnel certainly has the best recommendation. Everything I've learned about them from other divers has been positive so I'm looking forward to being with a reliable, professional outfit. Last year I wasted several days diving going out with the outfit at the resort where I was staying (an operation called SPAD) - they were barely adequate and I certainly wouldn't recommended them for instruction. Dive Connections and Beqa Divers were better but I'm expecting more of Aqua-Trek.
I also went out with the Cousteau operation on Vanua Levu (their smaller boat out of the Koro Sun resort); their divemaster, Sam, was really good and I would go out with him again except I've heard so much good about the Taveuni sites.
I hope this is helpful. Maybe our paths will cross in Fiji.

Ellie100 once bubbled...
Hi all

This is my first time here. Sorry if this is a frequent question, I've had a look back through the board and didn't see it asked.

Me and my other half will be in Fiji for 3 weeks in April and would like to spend some time learning to scuba dive - we've done the Discover Scuba course and a couple of accompanied dives so we're thinking of doing a course and getting qualified.

No distinct plans as to where in Fiji we're going to be when we get there (we're backpacking) so open forum really: any recommendations of great diving outfits in Fiji? Somewhere friendly, safe, reliable - oh, and cheap would be good, though less important than the others!

Best of all would be somewhere operating from a beautiful island location. Any recommendations?

Thanks

Ellie

Check with Crystal Divers ( www.crystaldivers.com/ ). They're located on a small island, Nananu_I-Ra, just off the northern tip of the main island, Viti Levu. Backpackers have been welcomed on the little island for years, but I'm not familiar with facilities or costs.

The attraction for many of us are some fantastic dive sites CD frequents; but, IMHO, some at some times are too advanced for beginners. However, there are lots of sites and some times at all sites which are not especially difficult.

I have no experience whatsoever with their teaching skills, but I do know they run a goood dive operation with experienced staff.

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom