Learning SCUBA at 50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good luck!
You'll love it.
but don't think your done buying gear though

Well, McFly, did you get your answer? Welcome to the world you only imagined! You're going to love it! There's lots of good advice on these pages and if you take a "mature" approach to learning the sport you're in for great adventure. It really doesn't matter what age you are. Just as if you were 21 - be mentally ready, give the physical stuff proper preparation, any challenges due respect, keep learning and you'll be just fine. Dive with pros or more experienced divers whenever possible - experiences they have had can provide valuable lessons. Don't push limits. The community of divers you're joining spans the entire age spectrum and you're way left of "too old" so don't hold back now! I started at 55 and have no intentions of stopping or slowing down. Hope to see you out there!

I'm 54, got certified 2 years ago....did pool and school in Wisconsin in January, and found a wonderful instructor in Cancun to do my OW dives, will be revisiting him in Feb 2010......this after too many years of should of, would of, could of.....heck, I was a lifeguard at the YMCA at home in high school, and watched a guy teach scuba in our pool.....I made sure the kids stayed out of his way....! He invited me a bunch of times to sign up....(dumba$$)......!!!!! Just returned from a Blackbeards liveaboard trip in the Bahamas 2 weeks ago....kind of cold, lots of wind, but the dives were fun! Pick your places, and pleasures.....I like the blue of the Caribe! and the warmth of the water......no Lake Michigan for me!!!!!!!!

I learned to dive at 23, but became an instructor at age 50. One of my favorite things is to work with old farts like me. I feel that I can give them advice on the "smart" way to do things instead of using brute force like the whippersnappers.

Although I'm a bit late to this discussion, I would recommend start swimming a few laps to ensure you are comfortable in the water. I teach for Adventure Scuba and they do most of their confined pool work at the Oak Mar Rec Center in Vienna. This time of year they offer the pool sessions at Oak Mar and follow up with Open Water down in the Crystal River in Florida. If you still have any questions, PM me. Good luck from one 50 year old to another. BTW, Adventure Scuba's oldest instructor is 72 and spends a lot of his time now working with the SUDS group at Walter Reed. He is an inspiration.

My Mum started when she was 50. She has now done over 500 dives and is considered a very capable diver.

I think that the trick is to find good instructors and go at your own pace. At the end of the day, it's not so much about how old you are on your passport but how young you feel in your mind!

Enjoy and have fun.

Phil

I hope by now you have already enrolled a scuba class, if you have not already the best is to download this form http://www.wrstc.com/downloads/RSTCMedStatementGeneric.pdf and answer honestly all the questions.
Pay special attention to the one about moderate exercise. Get yourself a pair of trainer and do a one mile walk and clock how long it takes you. If you can make it in 12 minutes or less and you are not staggering at the end you have enough fitness for the class.
Be also aware that the level of physical activity increases in cold water and poor weather condition so if you don't feel really fit limit your diving to warm waters and east conditions (no currents, good viz)

Don't do it... your life is over at 50. You'll kill yourself if you dive.

Seriously, SCUBA is an activity you can pursue well into your mature years (once you actually reach them). The 50s are the new 30s. I've known several folks who are active divers in their 70s and 80s. You've got a long future ahead of you if you do it.

I was certified 8 years ago at age 51; my wife got tired of listening to me talk about it and did her OW 3 years ago when she was 52. We did AOW and Nitrox last year and pretty much plan our traveling around dive trips. Just got back from Fiji; going to Cozumel in April, etc. The sport may even motivate you to get into and/or stay in better physical shape than you might otherwise. It certainly has for me.

I got my OW at 51 then within two months got my nitrox then two months later my advanced. I have found a great passion that I two wish i would have done earlier in life. My only regret is i didnt tell my instructor i had several near drowning experiences in my childhood and had issues with. I wasn't ready to jump off the boat so we did beach dives first. I have only been diving since last january and have 47 dives logged.

Back
Top Bottom