Learning SCUBA at 50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillyMcFly

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
All,

I've loved SCUBA and the underwater world since my childhood days watching the Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau. However I never found the time to learn. Seeing Jacques Cousteau diving at 80 was always a great inspiration to me to feel confident I could eventually learn. Well, an opportunity has arisen for me learn. My plan is to take my classroom and pool lessons here in Virginia and then go to Florida for my OW dives. My main concern is that I haven't done much swimming in several years and am not as active as I used to be. I just wanted to get other diver's opinions and recommendations on how best to prepare oneself for the physical challenges of diving. Are there any issues with which I should concern myself before I begin. I really want to learn to dive but I certainly don't want to take any unnecessary risks. In reality I don't think I will ever make deep dives. I really just want to experience the underwater world and I think there are many wonderful sites at 30 feet or less. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Willy

Welcome to the board and the sport Willy. I think you have done good by coming here but I do not think you are in for much trouble. I know several divers that certified after 50 and they did just fine. The physical requirements for OW are pretty basic and will likely be no issue. The skills are an ageless thing.....you are either capable or not (meaning you need to work on it).

Talk to your instructor, ask lots of questions ahead of time (including, as you have done, here on ScubaBoard) but as long as you are in reasonable shape then you will do fine. Perhaps ask if you can acquire your learning material ahead of time so you can begin reading and understanding what will be expected. Some Instructors do things a little differently so I do stress the need to communicate with your soon to be instructor. Just go slowly and make sure that you master the skills. Do not let anybody fast track you.....you are the only one that loses then.

Thanks for your reply Steve. It's great advice. As long as I feel comfortable that I am not pushing myself beyond my physical capabilities I think I will be fine. My main concern is probably just getting over the nervousness of being in the open water. I hope once I'm in the water and moving around it will pass.

If you're in good health and are comfortable in the water...why not? I was certified at 50.I had talked about doing it for years until my wife finally signed me up. No more excuses!My only regret is I didn't do it years ago.Hopefully you'll have a good instructor and you can enjoy the process.Have fun Willy, and welcome to the club.

Those concerns are normal and for many I think they pass for most once they realize how beautiful it is under there (even a pool :wink:). But again, keep talking to your instructor. If you want a bit more time on a given skill, talk to them. A good instructor will do their best to accommodate their student. The more time you can spend underwater with your instructor, the more confident you are likely to become. Just do not rush.....comfortable and skilled is the goal. Go in smart and come out a diver :thumb:

Recreational diving does not really require athleticism. It does, however, require comfort in the water and reasonably good health. One of the most frequent causes of death in scuba is old guys, out of shape, having a problem (a little current, a surface swim, a buoyancy issue, etc.) and then having a heart attack dealing with a little bit of physical stress. If you are healthy and fairly comfortable in the water scuba can give you a whole new lease on life. I was almost 57 when I did basic OW and am an active diver at nearly 66 (200+ dives each year). Exercise and swimming certainly are going to help your cause.

It's hard to know what "not very active" means. But if you are largely sedentary, and particularly if you are overweight as well, it would be a VERY good idea at least to challenge yourself before your class. Go somewhere and get on a treadmill and walk fast enough to get a little out of breath -- then give yourself a bit of slope and keep at it. If you get winded almost immediately, or if you have any chest discomfort while doing this, go see a doctor before you take your dive class.

I don't want to be discouraging at all, but medical-related issues are becoming an increasingly important cause of diving accidents, so people who are a little older and out of shape would be well-served to evaluate their fitness before undertaking a dive class.

That said, I was 52 when I got certified, and diving has become one of the biggest passions of my life, so if your health is good, go for it!

You are receiving a lot of good advice here.

Diving is a life changing and a life long activity.

I have been diving with a man who was first certified @ age 72.

Stan Waterman is still diving, leading dive tours, @ age 87.

The Underwater world is full of wonders.

Enjoy your diving.

"My main concern is that I haven't done much swimming in several years and am not as active as I used to be.".......

I would get a physical, start swimming---again, & you should be ready in a 'short while' for certification(there's really not that much to it)......good luck......

I taught my father to dive this last summer. He's 63. Other than the parent/ child commnications gaps that can occur, he did great.:cool2: Like you, he really hadn't been super active in a few years, but was still in good enough shape he didn't have any real problems. In fact after he did his first dive without me, he said he had more fun on that dive, than any before (with me as his instructor).... I was crestfallen:depressed:, but so proud of him.:blinking: If you are in reasonble health & reasonably comfortable in the water, you shouldn't have too many problems. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom