Learn to dive in Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janeling

New
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm a newbie - not quite a diver yet!

My partner and I want to do our PADI courses up at Cairns in July. We haven't booked the course yet, were wondering if anybody could recommend a good course operator. We have heard that Prodive is pretty good.

Hi there!

When I was going to learn to dive in Cairns I found a great deal. That was a few years ago, but the following link seems good value...

http://www.fitzroyislanddive.com.au/padi-open-water-course.html

I am afraid I didn't pass the medical as I went for it after a long flight, and partying the night before for New Year... so I had a small cold coming on... So I just snorkelled the barrier reef, but next time I'll be back!

Good luck, hope you love Cairns and diving, it's gorgeous!

:palmtree:

Prodive (and some other operators i am sure) offer a PADI OW course with a liveaboard (3 days, 2 nights on boat, plus a couple of days training in Cairns) - I was on the boat with a friend who was doing the course, and to me it looked a pretty decent job. Once the course was finished there was a chance to do several dives in buddy pairs, which i thought was good value and a good way of building some independence in new divers in good conditions. www.prodive-cairns.com.au.

Cairns is basically built around trips to the reef, so there are heaps of operators, and the whole thing is a bit of an OW training factory, but regulations are also pretty tight, so my impression is that standards are tightly adhered to. Am not sure there would be much variation between operations really, so pick the company/ trip/ instructor you feel most comfortable with.

The ones i would go with would be Pro Dive Cairns, Down Under Dive, Cairns Dive Centre, Deep Sea Divers Den - great guy called Mike is an instructor there; or Tusa - they have the best boats.

Edited to say - they are always having special deals on shop around and you can get a great package, most are done two days land then two or three days finishing ont he liveaboard so it really is a great course up here, they are adhere to tight standards.

Thanks everyone. After much deliberation I have booked us in with Prodive. I was sorely tempted by Fitzroy Island but we were keen to go to the outer reef, so liveaboard seemed the way to go. Now I am very nervous and very excited!! Off to the "new to dive" board....

Back
Top Bottom