Learn me on drysuit ring systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll second everything Kathy said. With DUI Zip Seals, the DC gloves are the glove of choice IMO.

I use the DUI Zip Seals. I wear the blue smurf gloves when I'm diving local and zip seals when I'm in cave country. I like how easy it is for a klutz like me to swap between the smurf gloves and zip seals based on the type of diving environment.

-Manufacturer: Si-Tech
-Model name: Quick Glove
-Approximate price: I paid $25 for a used ring system, $5 for the exterior gloves from Home Depot and $20 for liner gloves from REI. I believe new, the ring system is around $125. This is the ring system DUI used to sell, I believe.
-Suitable for large hands? Suitable for small hands? I don't have large, nor small hands, so it is hard for me to comment on this. However, the circumference of the rings are no larger than the circumference of your latex seals. Therefore, if you can get your hand through an opening that is the size of the circumference of your latex seal, these rings are suitable for your size hands.
-Are the rings bulky? No. There is an outer ring that goes over your latex seal. Then there is a smaller inner ring that goes inside of your latex seal that holds the outer ring in place. I leave the rings on my suit all the time. If I were to dive with wet gloves for a dive or two, I would still leave the rings on my drysuit.
-Third party (cheap) gloves available? Yes. I use the blue gloves from Home Depot. Cost - $5.
-Preserves redundant wrist seal? Yes. When I had a flood in one glove, no water entered the suit. This assumes that you do not break the latex waterproof seal so that gas can enter and leave the glove. For dives to 110 fsw, I do not need to add gas to my gloves for them to be comfortable.
-Professional installation of rings required? No.
-Are gloves easy to put on before a dive (opinion)? Yes.
-How often do they leak from the ring (opinion)? I have had a leak two or three times when I first started using my glove system. When I first started using the glove system, when I trimmed the gloves and mounted them on the ring, I left too much extra glove material which interfered with the o-ring causing a less then perfect seal. Since making the necessary corrections, I have not had any leaks.
-Any other thoughts or facts? I have not used any other dry glove system. I have dive buddies that use different dry glove systems, but have not had "dry glove envy" because my dry glove system works perfectly fine for me. I don't think there is any perfect system. The best you can hope for is one that provides you minimal problems.

-Manufacturer: Diving Concepts

-Model name: Dry Glove and Wrist System

-Approximate price: don't remember maybe around $150ish?

-Suitable for large hands? Suitable for small hands? No idea about large, my hands are small

-Are the rings bulky? They are less bulky than some

-Third party (cheap) gloves available? Atlas, just over $3 at Seattle Marine: Atlas Gloves - Chemical Resistant

-Preserves redundant wrist seal? - yes/your choice

-Professional installation of rings required? No, but it takes quite a bit of work - the job
is easier with zip seals & using a couple of rubber tipped "A" clamps from a hardware store as extra hands

-Are gloves easy to put on before a dive (opinion)? Yes

-How often do they leak from the ring (opinion)? only when you catch something in the
seal like a glove liner or hair

-Any other thoughts or facts? I've liked them for 250 dives, but locally it seems those who need to juggle multiple bottles prefer not to have rings & go with DUI zip gloves

It's a little hard to eat, and do other tasks while wearing the DUI zip gloves - which often equals taking off the upper part of your suit just to free yourself of the gloves, while the DC gloves easily pop on/off on Surface Intervals.

That being said if I ever start rotating bottles it appears the zips are the way go to.

But the zip gloves don't preserve an inner seal, do they? Is that no longer considered an important item in the GUE equipment canon?

But the zip gloves don't preserve an inner seal, do they? Is that no longer considered an important item in the GUE equipment canon?

I believe there's a model with a wrist dam, called ZipGlove-WD.

Another option not yet mentioned is Ro-Locks. Anyone ever used them?

I was under the impression that failure of seal was a real concern, but that adjustable wrist straps on computers, etc, were supposed to help close off a failed seal.

Manufacturer Sitech
-Model name quick lock
-Approximate price
-Suitable for large hands? Suitable for small hands? I have small hands
-Are the rings bulky? Yes
-Third party (cheap) gloves available? Atlas 660 buy them wholesale.
-Preserves redundant wrist seal? I can install replaceable latex seals on my suit's permanent rings.
-Professional installation of rings required? Yes. I had them put on 7mm neoprene.
-Are gloves easy to put on before a dive (opinion)? Yes, it takes practice and I need a buddy.
-How often do they leak from the ring (opinion)? Never if you get them on right..that's another story...
-Any other thoughts or facts? It's a learning curve using them. never underestimate HOW TIGHT the gloves need to be in the spanner rings.
Share this post on Digg
Del.icio.us
Technorati
Add to your Facebook!
Twitter

I was under the impression that failure of seal was a real concern, but that adjustable wrist straps on computers, etc, were supposed to help close off a failed seal.
@ScubaFeenD: How tight do you wear your wrist straps on computers, bottom timers, and compasses? Mine are not tight at all. I suppose that one could tighten them up a little if the leak was distal to the wrist strap(s)...but it won't stop the water from coming in through a busted seal (in the absence of a backup wrist seal).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom