Learn from my mistakes... I did!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
I Shoot in AF-C mode (Ryan's preference as well BTW). That way it WILL shoot no matter what. In AF-S it won't shoot if the camera doesn't think it's in focus. I'd rather get it than get "locked out" by the camera.

Well, to each his own. I have found however that if the camera won't lock focus, it's not in focus. If I am shooting topside, I often shoot AF-C, but I can see much better through the viewfinder topside, and I don't use AF-C unless I am shooting action.

My brief experience with the camera in AF-C UW is certainly disappointing. I was upsidedown, in current, shooting under ledges (i.e., lowlight) and I have some very nice OOF shots of a huge Moray eel, and a huge King Crab.....:pity_part

So what is the thinking here? Getting an OOF shot is better than none at all? I would use if if doing manual focus, but I don't have a MF port.

huh?

lol. That's where I bought the D-100 six years ago...that's what I meant. MH is pretty dialed in and I was just mentioning that Royal Caribbean has legit goods for ...less than Adorama..by a smidgen., 100 dollars or so.

I guess the fact that the 105 shoots macro that looks almost microscopic and yet..you can shoot a shark that is 30 ft away, is amazing. I don't understand focal length, even after taking 10 credits of college physics where we did problems with focal length.

NO WORKING KNOWLEDGE!

I want a D-200, but will probably setttle for the D-7o so I can get the Merlin Extralite! ...meanwhile, I'm livin thru you guys.

MF port...didn't you get the little sawtooth rings that fit inside?

RonFrank:
So what is the thinking here? Getting an OOF shot is better than none at all? I would use if if doing manual focus, but I don't have a MF port.

Exactly.. but I can honestly say that the vast majority - probably 95% or more of the shots I take ARE in focus. The viewfinder flashes red when it's in focus, and that's when I shoot... If your subject is moving, the single servo mode doesn't always register that it's actually IN focus, and won't let you shoot.

I use MF on land, but I don't know if i'd trust my eye for the diving I mostly do, which is drift diving.

RonFrank:
Well, to each his own. I have found however that if the camera won't lock focus, it's not in focus. If I am shooting topside, I often shoot AF-C, but I can see much better through the viewfinder topside, and I don't use AF-C unless I am shooting action.

My brief experience with the camera in AF-C UW is certainly disappointing. I was upsidedown, in current, shooting under ledges (i.e., lowlight) and I have some very nice OOF shots of a huge Moray eel, and a huge King Crab.....:pity_part

I think a lot of it depends on what lens you're using and what you're shooting. I use both AF-C and AF-S, but it depends.

For wide angle shots with some decent ambient light, and reasonably good depth of field, AF-C should be fine. There's enough light to get decent focus and with a good DOF, you don't have to be spot on with the focusing. But there are times where you do get OOF shots too.

When shooting macro in AF mode, I generally do AF-S as I want to nail the focus properly on the area I want to be in focus, so there's no point in getting it only just close. And typically with a lower DOF (unless I stop it right down), the focusing is more critical. Either AF-S or just plain do it manually.

But I agree in principle, I would rather miss a shot than to get one that is unusable being too OOF.

catherine96821:
MF port...didn't you get the little sawtooth rings that fit inside?

Hmm, that is a VERY interesting point! I had not even thought that I *might* be able to use the same gears for focus that I use for zoom on non-zoom lenses. I may want to try that out! Thanks!

Ola, and have a great time with TSandM when her and Peter are out! Boy I sure wish I could just hit that 180M lotto jackpot, and jet around the world on my whim diving with SB folks! Ohhh we would SOO use that boat of yours! :D

Hawaii is on the list, not sure when, but one day I will fall into the Pacific Blue with Cat, and then take a land tour with JustLeesa!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom