Learn from my mistakes... I did!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Digital should have solved that or are you shooting film?
I'm shooting digital. Every shot was noisy. Wish I could have noticed it on the camera's display monitor when I checked my shots, but I couldn't see it.

One dive that got buggered up with my D200 was the fact that they changed the latching mechanism on the battery door cover from the D70 to the D200. On the D70, you just close and it snaps shut. With the D200, you close, the door snaps shut, but is still loose, you have to actually push the tab in until it locks. Well, I did not realize this until later (who would have thought battery door cover technology would change) and during the dive, the movement of the housing shook the cover open and the batter dropped down, losing contact. Did another paperweight dive.

catherine96821:
"chimp"...(is that what I do?)

I don't use lens caps.

I bought those optical glass covers.---I guess they probably get scratched. I am very hard on my set-up.

I need to figure out what limit/full is used for on my 105. Limit the range? but why? to conserve juice?

Did you get the 105mm VR? That I'd be jealous of! :eyebrow:

Many lenses have a full/limit switch. What is does is limit the lens focus to some range. The range varies on each lens. For macro's this is handy if you are not shooting in Macro mode. If the camera can't focus lock, it hunts. The amount of hunting can be limited by the switch. With macro lenses which extend quite a ways, hunting the full range can take time.

For sports shooters generally bigger glass has limiter switches as they are rarely shooting close up, and they can set the limit switch so their lenses may only try to focus from 20ft~infinity for example.

Edit: I should add you do NOT want to limit focus UW. You may end up not able to focus close, and if you limit it, there is nothing you can do UW to change that.
Hope this answers your question.

Diver Dennis:
The first time I left my lens cap on, I spent almost the entire dive trying to find out what the heck was going on...:D

Dennis, if god had intended photographers to use lens caps, he would not have created UV filters! I also don't use lens caps, but I have a good UV filter on every lens. When it get's scratched or the coating comes off, I just replace the filter.

Warren_L:
On the D70, you just close and it snaps shut. With the D200, you close, the door snaps shut, but is still loose, you have to actually push the tab in until it locks

My battery door on the D200 snaps into place, and the tab snaps shut without me pushing it shut. You may want to get that fixed at some point. That means sending the camera to Nikon, but I assume it is still under warranty, and it maybe worthwhile getting it done if it bothers you, or does not close easily.

RonFrank:
My battery door on the D200 snaps into place, and the tab snaps shut without me pushing it shut. You may want to get that fixed at some point. That means sending the camera to Nikon, but I assume it is still under warranty, and it maybe worthwhile getting it done if it bothers you, or does not close easily.

Mine did that originally when I first got it, but if you look at the door, there's an arrow that points in the direction that you're supposed to push it to open it, and three lines indicating the three positions - open, closed, and locked. After a while and enough use, the door does not snap in as tightly and eventually, any slight jar of the camera body shakes it open if you do not push the tab all the way into it's "locked" position. It's not really a fault, just a different design. Check it out.

Did you get the 105mm VR? That I'd be jealous of!
I don't think so..it's AF Micro Nikkor 1:2.8 It has a telephoto function which makes the lense a big mystery to me. (up to what distance is it good to shoot?)

I covet the D-200, so much I just called Royal Caribbean in St Tomas where Mauricio Handler suggested I buy the D-100 and priced the D-200 @1300.

I just appealed my property taxes, we'll see.

catherine96821:
I don't think so..it's AF Micro Nikkor 1:2.8 It has a telephoto function which makes the lense a big mystery to me. (up to what distance is it good to shoot?)

I covet the D-200, so much I just called Royal Caribbean in St Tomas where Mauricio Handler suggested I buy the D-100 and priced the D-200 @1300.

Why would they suggest a D100? Maybe as you have the housing? ANY Nikon Camera out there is going to kick D100 tail, including the discontinued D70s, or even the D50.

The D200 is a nice camera, and I really have been enjoying mine. So much that I'm thinking of seeing what I can get for my D1x, and getting a second D200 as a backup.

Not sure what the heck you are talking about with a telephoto function? It's a 105mm lens, so yes by nature a telephoto. It just means that it's a longer focal length lens.

catherine96821:

That's the same lens I have, and it is a telephoto lens as Ron indicates. But it also works as a macro lens that can do 1:1 macro. If you need more than that, you can use a teleconverter (which would require a new port extension or port), or alternatively, if you add a diopter of say +2 or +4. that will get your focusing distance down even more.

I Shoot in AF-C mode (Ryan's preference as well BTW). That way it WILL shoot no matter what. In AF-S it won't shoot if the camera doesn't think it's in focus. I'd rather get it than get "locked out" by the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom