Leaking mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dfx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've discovered that my mask has a tiny tiny leak. It's a Mares X-vision with optical lenses, which I've had for quite a long time now, but haven't used it for a large number of dives yet (for several years it's just been sitting in its box). I'd rather not get a new one because of the cost involved of getting the optical inserts. I know I could probably just get an identical mask and re-use the lenses, but I'm not sure if maybe the lenses themselves are part of the leak problem.

So I figured I could just try to fix the leak with a bit of silicone. Is that advisable? I have a pretty good idea of where the leak is and could narrow it down some more with the good old bubble test.

Depends. The Silicon's bond could break when exposed to the pressure of deep water. Can you provide any pictures of the mask underwater, in a sink or something so we can see where the leak is?

Depends. The Silicon's bond could break when exposed to the pressure of deep water. Can you provide any pictures of the mask underwater, in a sink or something so we can see where the leak is?

There's nothing to see really, the leak is somewhere between the silicone frame and the glass lenses (inside the plastic frame). It's detectable by filling the inside with water and waiting a bit - it will then slowly drip out of the plastic frame on the outside. So my idea was to put some silicone on the inside, into that small gap between the glass lens and the silicon frame (there's a gap because the glass is very thick at the rim).

I guess I could make a video...Let's see how that works out.

If the silicon won't get wet and remains within the air space of your mask it SHOULD be fine. I thought you were talking about one where the break in seal is on the outside

Here's a video that shows the leak. I got myself some silicone and will try to fix it once the mask is dry.

[video=youtube;H2VDB-n_8RU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2VDB-n_8RU[/video]

Try gently moving the lenses around in the frame to try and 'seat' them better in the silicon frame....Also try submersing the mask in very warm to almost hot water and then moving the lenses/frame around a bit.......Sometimes when they take out the original lenses and put another set in [optical] they don't 'seat' quite right in the groove and warm/hot water will let the silicon 'mold' around the lenses better....You can also try a little Tribolube #71 around the lenses and work it into the groove w/a tooth pick.........If none of that works you may have to take it to your LDS, have them remove the lens(s) and make sure the lens(s) doesn't have a chipped edge or damaged groove.......Heavy-handed assemblers have been known to do that :( !!!!!

Judging by the video, the seperation is minor, but being at depth could make it worse or widen the seperation. Try putting silicon in the inside seam so it stays away from the water :) let me know how that works

I agree with j2s. Seems to be a seating issue. Try his suggestions.

I agree with j2s. Seems to be a seating issue. Try his suggestions.

The thing is that the lens doesn't move at all, no matter how hard I try. The mask was leak free when I first got it (years ago) but somehow got leaky within the last few months or so. I'm reluctant to open it or have it opened out of fear that it might get worse or even break completely, something not unheard of with this type of mask apparently... Why do you think that fixing the leak with silicone is a bad idea?

I'm not saying that silicone is a bad idea. But why use a band-aid solution. I personlly would remove the lens and see what's up. Might be something as simple as dirt.
There are plenty of examples of lens replacement on youtube that might help with removing the lens.
Really it's your call.

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom