Leaking Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting. Would the condensation migrate outward though? If I do sweat, why would my undergarment be wet yet my base layers are relatively dry?
Base layers wick moisture away from you. Your insulating undergarments will hold moisture and hopefully stay warm. The suit is going to keep the moisture from migrating further away from you and get trapped there. Lots of dry divers here that don't zip up into last minute and even then they'll go get wet to avoid sweating.

I had a similar problem of not being able to find the leaks in my dry suit until I turned the suit inside out before I inflated it. It is a little hard to get it zipped up through the neck seal and you have to inflate it with an air compressor through the wrist seal. The inside of my suit at least is a lot smoother and it allowed me to leave the dump valve in the open position and put a big glob of foamy soap and water over the valve.

If you suspect it's the seals, one trick you can try is to get in a pool wearing a cotton sweat shirt and shorts underneath the suit and move around in the water for 10 minutes or so. Move your head and wrists a bit. When you take the suit off you will clearly see where the suit leaked in if it did.

Your base layers are doing their job of wicking. So does your undersuit. The moisture condensates when the warm moisture hits the colder membrane suit. With enough moisture, it feels wet.
However, if you are soaked, there might be a leak.

Graham Blackmore has a genious video on how to leak check your dry-suit.
If you don't want to install an inflator valve to your bin, you can switch the inflator valve "inside-out" by unscrewing, and putting it back on the suit with the outside on the inside.

Your base layers are doing their job of wicking. So does your undersuit. The moisture condensates when the warm moisture hits the colder membrane suit. With enough moisture, it feels wet.
However, if you are soaked, there might be a leak.
I think that's where there's a difference. A leak to me is soaked or repeatable, where as condensation, sweat, just feels damp and not something I notice during a dive (with the right layers). If I'm 2nd guesssing it, it's probably just condensation.. or maybe the neck burbed.. not what I would call a leak though.

Idk.. I'm not sure dry suits should really be called dry suits either. Maybe like @Boarderguy said, maybe calling it a bag suit or "mostly" dry suit would be better. I am "mostly" dry when I get out, but I don't feel wet when I'm diving.. I'm content with that. It sure beats being 100% wet and freezing, lol.

I got kitted up one day late in the summer, ended up not being able to get in the water where we were entering, high tide + surf hitting the end of a narrow walkway. Never got more than my legs in the water and we called it. When I got out of my DS I was shocked how damp (like the wet end of the damp spectrum) everything was and it was obviously from sweat, since I never actually got in the ocean. If I did dive, I would have thought it was a leak. And would have been freezing lol.

I would have thought it was a leak. And would have been freezing lol.

With the right undergarments I don't really feel "freezing".. but def cold. Last week I dove in my Seaskin Nova drysuit for 1hr 45m. Water was 37f. By the end I was chilled, but not unbearable. And I am a wuss when it comes to cold in the water. When I took the suit off it was mildly damp inside from condensation... especially along the zipper. I'm sure it has something to do with the condensation in the suit coming into contact with the seam along with the inflation valve pumping in gas. The longer I stay in my suit, the more damp it gets.

I think you (not you, just saying anyone reading this) need to dive a suit multiple times to see if they can replicate the "leak" to see if it's really a leak. After a few dives you know.

I donned my dry suit and took a shower with it. I sprayed water around my entire body, paying particular attention to the zipper, valves, wrist seals (I always wear dry gloves, but I left it off for this test. I had my bare hands exposed), and neck seal most importantly. Pictured are the two different ways I positioned the neck seal for this experiment. I usually have it so that the edge reaches the top of my neck, covering my adams apple (#1). I tried this time, as someone suggested, to also position it below the adams apple (#2). There were no leaks on the zipper or valves. No leaks on the wrist seals either. I even moved my wrists aggressively to see if I could break the seal. In regards to the neck seal, method #2 did not cause leaks. Method #1 did have water slowly trickle into my suit when I tilted my head upward and downward. I stopped the water flow at this point, but I could imagine that this is what is causing my damp undersuit. I'm always horizontal (even on descents and ascents) so my neck naturally corks upward to see forward.

Takeaway: Position the neck seal below the adams apple. I have mine pictured and it's rather pronounced compared to the rest of my neck. Interestingly, I also have a "bio seal" (Dive Bio Seals | Apollo USA Scuba) and it seems to stop water ingress regardless how I positioned the neck seal. Added insurance, I suppose.

Attachments

• PXL_20230109_202532679.jpg
    PXL_20230109_202532679.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 52
  • PXL_20230109_202552979.jpg
    PXL_20230109_202552979.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20230109_202706829.jpg
    PXL_20230109_202706829.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 46
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back