Leaking Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoOctoForYou

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Seaskin Nova, and have put about 20 dives on it. It has leaked to varying degrees on every dive. I make sure the zipper is closed completely and that my neck seal and dry gloves are seated correctly. I have disassembled and cleaned the dump and inflator valves. I have done several leak tests and no bubbles whatsoever.

I suspect that that the neck seal is the culprit. I have silicone neck seals with the ring system. Originally, the "large" seal was too loose so I replaced it with a "small" one. I may have cut too many rings on it, however. I have a 34 cm neck, for reference, across the widest part. I have been told it should feel slightly discomforting, not to the point of restriction but I should feel it. I don't really notice it if I focus on it.

Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks.

1.) Could you take a picture of your neck/wrists in their respective seals?
2.) Have you tightened inn/out valve?
3.) Can it be condensation?
4.) What undergarments are you wearing?
5.) Where are the leaks?

1.) Could you take a picture of your neck/wrists in their respective seals?
2.) Have you tightened inn/out valve?
3.) Can it be condensation?
4.) What undergarments are you wearing?
5.) Where are the leaks?
1. I'll try to get that later.
2. I am certain that I tightened the valves fully. The leak test showed no leak in those areas.
3. Uncertain. Is this due to sweat?
4. "Thinsulate 250 gsm"
5. Generally, my entire undergarment and base layer gets wet. It's not a full flood, but like a slow trickle that builds up over a dive. I dive properly weighted with good trim and buoyancy.

1. I'll try to get that later.
2. I am certain that I tightened the valves fully. The leak test showed no leak in those areas.
3. Uncertain. Is this due to sweat?
4. "Thinsulate 250 gsm"
5. Generally, my entire undergarment and base layer gets wet. It's not a full flood, but like a slow trickle that builds up over a dive. I dive properly weighted with good trim and buoyancy.
3) is due to you being zipped up in a plastic bag and all the moisture has to go somewhere.

Sweating from being too warm prior to our during the dive adds to this moisture in your plastic bag. If it is all over then I would suspect that you're sweating a good bit. My buddy just had a wet dive from a leaky neck. His gloves and legs were dry. Only his core had gotten wet after 35 minutes in 48° water.

3) is due to you being zipped up in a plastic bag and all the moisture has to go somewhere.

Sweating from being too warm prior to our during the dive adds to this moisture in your plastic bag. If it is all over then I would suspect that you're sweating a good bit. My buddy just had a wet dive from a leaky neck. His gloves and legs were dry. Only his core had gotten wet after 35 minutes in 48° water.
Interesting. Would the condensation migrate outward though? If I do sweat, why would my undergarment be wet yet my base layers are relatively dry?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom