leakin mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belos

Reaction score
I have a rug on me top lip and am getting my nose piece in my mask ful of water...is the rug the cause of this and what can i do to get round it?
ps.
I am NOT using gasket sealant :wink:
Thx peeps

Originally posted by Belos
I have a rug on me top lip and am getting my nose piece in my mask ful of water...is the rug the cause of this and what can i do to get round it?
ps.
I am NOT using gasket sealant :wink:
Thx peeps

Belos,

There is not a whole lot you can do if you have one of those think bushy mustaches you are doomed. If it is not really think you can take a small amount of vaseline and rub it down then your mask will seal better. I did that for a while when I was snorkeling before I realized all the fun was under the surface and took up diving.

Since then I have decided off with the mustache first time since I was like 12 I didn't have a mustache most people say I look better without it.

There is another thread about leaky masks that covers other possibilities such as a dirty purge valve or defective purge valve. Or a crak in the mask. You can have your dive shop check this pretty easily.

Hope that helps

And welcome to Scubaboard from an ADMITTED Texan... so there Tom!

Thx m8 for the help....I only have a small thin goatee beard not thick at all but i will give your suggestion a go m8:)

Shave just a small strip under your nose, just enough for the mask to seal. It doesn't take much.

If this doesn't work there is always Permatex!

But I see you already read that thread.

ID

The suggestion to shave a strip under your nose has worked for me. Some folks add a smear of silicon grease for additional sealing. Remember, it normally will grow back.

DSAO

Got the same issue with my 'stache and mask

The advice (Trim it close, and shave a thin strip under the nose) works well. Haven't done the Vaseline thing.

I just went and bought a mask with a purge valve. My mask still leaks but it leaves quickly and since I purge fairly often (take no hands), I haven't ever had a mask squeeze!

It is a petroleum product and can be very aggressive
toward some dive gear.

Originally posted by Green_Manelishi

It is a petroleum product and can be very aggressive
toward some dive gear.

Good point...I was having a brain cramp at the time.

Thanks G_M

Back
Top Bottom