Lead weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermasterB once bubbled...

Were those the slot in the middle bullet weights? That had to be one uncomfortabel weight belt.

The slots in my bullets are slightly offset, but the keys are belt assembly technique and bullet diameter. A propperly done bullet belt is actually more comfortable than a shot belt, with much less drag.

Each weight is indivually lightly crimped on the belt to prohibit slippage , with a small space between the weights. The wetsuit compression compensator section if desired is placed under the tank so nothing hard is there for the tank to drive into your back.

FT

Been pouring my own fishing lures for some time now.
Somethings that are left out here are rather important.

First of all, use a full face shield!! Cant stress this enough! A stray moth or insect can make one hell of an explosion in a pot of hot lead! and since the fumes are toxic they go down right over the pot.
second, the fumes are toxic maybe not right a way.// use lots of fresh air across the work zone . maybe even a respirator for those who may have one.
third. the lead itself sluffs off on ur goves when handling. lets remeber to keep the work goves in the garage and away from door knobs. remeber the lead paint issues with kids?
any place food is prepared {bbq grill} is a big nonnoo!! remeber the moth explosions!??)

just my 2 cents
jim

ps. wear burn protection

After diving around a wharf about 3-4 times collecting fishing weights, i had managed
to get about 10 lbs of lead. I also have collected quite a bit from rivers too.
The weights I am using now are made from the lead taken out of vehicle batteries. I was able to get them from wreckers for either next to nothing or free. It can be a bit of a hassle to neutralize or dispose of the acid in them, but they were a good source of some fairly pure lead. Someone had told me to use bees wax to help skim impurities, and that seemed to work O.K.
My father and I made these weights for him, but now he no longer dives and I inherited the lead. I am in the process now of melting them down into .45 cal. balls to make pouches.

I can't imagine how much plsti dip[ you'd need to use to close off the openings for the weight belt:(

lobbolt:
wouldn't breathing in the lead fumes while melting lead give you lead poisoning over time?

Makes all your babies come out naked. other than that it don't make a differance

#8 shot gun shot . 3# for 18$ at local gun shop. I just put mine in an old sock and tie the top. NO Sewing!
and custome sized to meet the need

I work in the Diagnostic Imaging ( X-ray ) field and often we are removing old X-ray equipment to be trashed. Usually there is 200 - 300 lbs of 99% lead used as counter weights in the systems, in block form. We have to remove the lead to make the equipment manageable to handle. Call your local company, they'll give it to you for free. Major companies are located in most major cities. Philips, Siemens, Toshiba, G.E. with their Medical Systems Divisions. It never hurts to give them a call.

Hi Guys,
I poured my own weights, I am a commercial electrician, and ((borrowed)) the lead from the plumbers at work. They use it for making thier joints on cast iron drain lines,
Chicago still requires cast iron drains.
Anyway, you might want to check at a local plumbing supplier, NOT home depot, or the other big box stores, but a REAL plumbing wholesaler.
Good Luck,
Robb

Back
Top Bottom