Lead Shot as weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rimp

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys. I was talking with a LSD here recently and they told me they sold their weights coated with "good stuff" and not the "cheap stuff". I am considering purchasing a weight harness (since my BC is not weight integrated), and can't see what the advantage would be to have a coated weight sitting in my vest pocket?

Couldn't I just buy lead shot, put it in a thick bag of some kind, and jam it into the pockets?

I could see the coated weights being the shiz for a weight belt where they are very visible, but not for a vest. Any thoughts?

Where can i get some nice thick water friendly bags to put lead shot in? Would baggies work?

lots of people on here make thier own weights from lead shot. Try using screen material from a screen porch to make bags to hold the lead.

Thanks for the reply guys. I did a search and found a real good section about how to make my own wieghts in the DIY section.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t9058.html

It sounds easy enough. Think I will price out that lead shot next. I will use plastic bags so the lead never leaks out (or gets wet).

Rimp:
Thanks for the reply guys. I did a search and found a real good section about how to make my own wieghts in the DIY section.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t9058.html

It sounds easy enough. Think I will price out that lead shot next. I will use plastic bags so the lead never leaks out (or gets wet).

If you use plastic bags, won't they compress at depth and then expand since they're sealed? Might tear open with all the contractions. My Zeagle BC uses two heavy duty zippered mesh bags for the lead shot. There's a pair of Zeagle bags on eBay, currently priced at $4. Auction # 7103686731 - Good price, I think Zeagle gets about $30 for them. I've had as much as 12lbs. in each bag and they weren't full.

I bought 3/8" lead shot for $1.00/lb. at my LDS. Seems like less work than making it.

Also someone on this forum just made some utility bags out of the canvas mesh that they sell for awnings. It's water/weather/rot resistant so it seemed like a good idea, I don't know how you'd sew it though, he had a friend who was a sailmaker.

You can buy "recycled" lead shot from some trap shooting ranges, it's a lot cheaper from there.
You can also buy the empty bags for a buck or 2 apiece, somebody will probably post a couple URLs before I can look them up... :wink:

Here we can get 20 lbs of shotgun lead for $17

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom