LDS wont fill tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info, Ill just replace it

Over 1% of tanks made if 6351 exhibit SLC.

I wouldn't fill them either. That is *not* a good ratio for the guy standing next to the tank.

tremtech:
Just send that piece of junk to me. What's your address? I'll send a call tag and take it off your hands. Free!
Rick :)

Aluminum or steel tanks

Rick Murchison:
some remain sane and fill them with a VIP+ and current hydro.
Rick

Hi Rick,

It's not a matter of sanity at all. IMHO the riskest part of running a Divestore is filling tanks.
When these things fail they generally fail in a fashion that maims or kills. So people die over ~$150 retail on a new tank. Most shops that won't fill these will do a trade in deal even now. I used to do it for less than $100 bucks and throw in 20 free fills, simply because the slight money loss was cheaper than having a pissed off cust. and MUCH cheaper than having to deal with a failure. If they don't want to buy a tank then I'll "rent" them one with air free so as not to mess up their day, but I'm not filing the older tank.

My personal cylinders that are alum, get 10 years with me, that's all. I'd like to say I sell them/scrap then but I don't they sit around gathering dust. I have a dozen in Canada, another couple dozen in Cayman and 3 in my shed in just that state.

A GOOD friend of mine died while filling an older alum 80 in hydro with a current visual, it is simply not worth it.

Best,

Chris

jonnythan:

I wouldn't fill them either. That is *not* a good ratio for the guy standing next to the tank.

No kidding, one mini season in S FLA I filled over 600 tanks......

jonnythan:

Read the whole thing. It takes eight years for a crack to get dangerous; inspections every 2.5 years are now required - an annual VIP+ is more than adequate to keep the 1% of these tanks that may develop cracks safe - and, it's likely that the 1% that do develop cracks are within the x% (probably 10+%, but that's just a feeling and not a validated statistic) of these tanks that have been routinely overfilled.
For those of you who just don't want these tanks any more, ship 'em to me for FREE disposal.

Rick Murchison
4256 Lomac
Montgomery, AL 36106

tremtech:

For the $135-150 for a new AL80, it's just not worth the danger.

Rick Murchison:
Read the whole thing. It takes eight years for a crack to get dangerous; inspections every 2.5 years are now required - an annual VIP+ is more than adequate to keep the 1% of these tanks that may develop cracks safe - and, it's likely that the 1% that do develop cracks are within the x% (probably 10+%, but that's just a feeling and not a validated statistic) of these tanks that have been routinely overfilled.
For those of you who just don't want these tanks any more, ship 'em to me for FREE disposal.

Rick Murchison
4256 Lomac
Montgomery, AL 36106
But how much do you *really trust* the simian at the competing dive shop?

Rick Murchison:

Rick Murchison
4256 Lomac
Montgomery, AL 36106

Rick,

I had one start pissing out air at the neck that had done a Visual Plus 7 months prior. It didn't fail in an explosive manor but fail it did. This was at ~1800 psi, shut the compressor off, opened the vent on the panel and emptied the shop while it drained down. The reason we noticed it was a slight hiss and my employee called me over to check the neck oring. I put my hand on the neck where it meets the valve, expecting to feel air by my thumb or forefinger, I actually felt the air at the bottom of my hand.
The crack was visible from the inside after we looked and the eddy showed two more not visible cracks. The shop that did the visual plus was a VERY anal(more so than us) shop and had logs etc. I have every reason to believe the visual plus was done correctly. This cylinder was privatly owned and saw less than 50 dives a year.

I'm a cheap guy but not so cheap as to value a life at $100 bucks....

Back
Top Bottom