LDS wont fill tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tremtech

Reaction score
Yesterday I went to one of my local lds to have my tank filled and to rent a reg while mine is in the shop.They refused to fill the tank .Note the Hydro and visual was just done in febuary(by a different shop) . I only used this lds because their shop is easy access by boat. They owner/DM told me that my tank cannot ever be filled again because the date is 5/86 and anyone that filled it is an idiot. This tank has been in my possesion since new 12/86 and you can check my profile but the tank has less than 100 dives on it . the owner spouted on how the necks fail, then he rented me a green nitrox only tank that looked like it rolled down a hill (im not Nitrox certified) and His 9/97 tank was a junker. I must not understand the point of the Hydro test. Please can some one enlighten me. thanks

yes luxfer al 80

There were some issues (read, BOOM!!) with the 6351 aluminum alloys.

05/01/03

Luxfer Tank Exchange

Luxfer is implementing a program that will be from Jan –Dec. 31,2003 for you to trade-in old Luxfer Scuba Tanks.

To check to determine whether your Luxfer tank is made from the 6351 aluminum alloys, check the original Hydrostatic test date. If the stamped date is 1972 through 1987, the tank is made of 6351 alloy and during the first ½ of 1988. Tanks with an original hydrostatic date of 7/88 of higher are made from 6061 and are not eligible for the trade-in program.

Call Luxfer customer service at 1-800-764-0366 and report the # of tanks you want to exchange. They will ask you for serial #’s and test dates and your return mailing information. The representative will then issue you a return authorization number and tell you how to ship tanks to Luxfer.

Send in your tank and Luxfer will issue you a $50.00 voucher for the purchase of a new Luxfer 6061 alloy scuba tank.

Remember, this limited program will only be available during 2003 – so don’t delay!

Some shops do not fill pre 1988 alum cylinders because the alum used was different and more prone to stress cracking than current alloy.
They are very concerned with one blowing up....

There is very much two schools of thought, those that won't fill these older tanks and those will will. Both camps think the other are wrong.

I actually fall in the don't fill camp because it is not worth it to me to see someone die (again) over a scuba tank fill...

That being said there is a good chance you tank is fine given the use and hydro. Did it get a visual plus?

Older Luxfer tanks have had some sustained load cracking of the neck problems. This requires that these tanks have, in addition to the annual VIP, an eddy-current NDT look at the tank neck threads to detect any cracks not readily visible to the naked eye; this procedure is usually called a VIP+.
If these tanks pass the VIP+ and are in hydro there is no reason not to use them, and those who do aren't "idiots."
Some shops have chosen to reject all older AL tanks out of hand, some have chosen to reject only the ones made out of the "suspect" alloy, and some remain sane and fill them with a VIP+ and current hydro.
Rick

tremtech:
I must not understand the point of the Hydro test. Please can some one enlighten me. thanks

I have had two tanks recently rejected because of this. Supposedly the way the aluminum was mixed, or cast, or something, has lead to a large number of tank failures at the neck. I wasn't too upset, since I had bought these cheap, used a couple years back, and only recently have been diving enough to warrent needing multiple tanks. I have been slowly buying all new gear to replace the used stuff I had been using. I have just had to add a couple tanks to that list.

It is my understanding that the faulty cylinders where not truly 6351, but a bogus alloy labeled as 6351 containing excess lead, which caused the failures. The tanks made with this bogus alloy were produced in the very late 70s. Though his 86 tank and my 73 tank are fine, some dive shops mistakenly refuse to fill them on the grounds that they too are "killer tanks". Sorry to here about your bad experience tremtech, hope you have better luck in the future.

photohikedive:
I have had two tanks recently rejected because of this. Supposedly the way the aluminum was mixed, or cast, or something, has lead to a large number of tank failures at the neck.
"large number" is not true. See this link.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom