LDS sponsored trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silvernotch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We were just quoted a price for a trip next year that our LDS is taking. In general, are the prices a little higher because some of what we pay will go towards the LDS's way? Is this a common practice or are the prices we pay actually discounted?

I think it is common Practice. It's probably good for people that travel alone or can't make their own reservations. I have priced trips with the closest LDS and I would have to skip 1 out of 4 trips if I used this service they are that much more.

May be common for some and not for others. I personally don't mark my trips up at all. Make sure your comparing apples to apples when looking at the costs. Does your internet cost include hotel and or departure taxes or food just to name a few.

I find the trips from my LDS to be competitive, maybe a little higher, but you are paying for someone to make the reservations and make sure the details are covered. My LDS sends 2 people along on each trip and they are available for additional training. Their knowledge of the area is very helpful, especially for those of us that a travel impaired. I haven't done a lot of traveling and find their help valuable.

Having organized a couple of trips, I feel compelled to defend the LDS. There is a lot of work behind the scenes that goes into setting up travel. The shop has to do some research, identify desirable operators and lodging, check them out for reliability, and book the spaces. There is a considerable amount of money at risk, and people aren't reliable. The trip I organized last year, I had every spot spoken for BEFORE I committed my money to book the ten spaces. Within two months, I was down to three people out of the original ten who had given me their word. I was on the hook for about $10K. I wouldn't be surprised if the LDS adds something to the price to cover the risk of someone backing out and not paying.

In addition, at least with the LDS-organized trip we went on, they facilitated everything. If anything went wrong, they were the ones scurrying around to make it right. If you travel alone to somewhere remote, you'll be the one dealing with the lost reservations or the broken boat or whatever issue comes up, often with no financial recourse other than what you can strongarm out of someone.

Personally, if I want a trouble-free trip where somebody else has taken care of everything, made all the arrangements and is prepared to stand behind what the advertising offers, I expect to pay a bit for all that service.

I was pretty tired when I responded last night so please excuse the rewrite…

I just returned from a trip that was arranged by our LDS… Price was a little more than what I could have arranged by myself which was not a big problem for me initially. Rumors got out that 2 people went for free and may have caused some animosity within the group… I know that I would have appreciated the discount as I pay for 2 divers but these are lessons we learn.

I will grant those who say the LDS should be compensated in some way for arranging these trips and providing a dive master if one is necessary. I know that some who only dive a few time a year feel much more secure in knowing someone is there to help them with weights and a sense of security when in the water…

I suppose my problem with this type of arrangement is… well, I am not looking for any direct help from the LDS and feel no need for anyone other than my buddy to accompany me on a dive and I trust my buddy feels the same way.

I will never go on another trip arranged by the LDS unless any and all discounts are spread among the group. I feel the LDS enjoys other compensation from these types of trips they would not normally receive. They are able to sell new equipment, refresher courses, air, and other to those going on the trip. I also believe its in the LDS best interests to arrange such trips to be able to pull in these customers and keep them active, otherwise, no one is diving and no one is selling!

I don't need a LDS to set up a trip for me and my wife... I am just looking to go with friends; my best friend (my wife) will already be going!!!

Last edited:
The local dive travel agent business here that most shops use give a free spot for every eight divers booked. Most dive shops will not mark up the price and just take the extra spots as their payment for organising the trip.

I booked a trip to Fiji for six people, and got it $800 cheaper than what the LDS was offering it for and it was very easy to organise (I am good at doing this type of thing :p), so I personally would not be likely to go on an LDS trip but I would not begrudge a store charging extra for their trips given the risk they take on board booking a set number of spots. I do not particularly think there is much work involved for the LDS in organising because I find that type of thing very easy to do and enjoyable, but I guess others might hate organising trips and want to outsource.

LDS don't work for free. They have expenses that they incur.

People are welcome to arrange for their own trips to save a few bucks. That way when things go awry they have nobody to blame but themselves.

I prefer to do my own thing because I don't want to be obligated to spend time with any sort of group. However, if I were to want somebody else to do the thinking for me and to do the dirty work for me, I wouldn't begrudge the LDS charging me for a wee bit more for the work that they put in on my behalf.

I also heard of rumors that certain people get to go for free, usually an instructor/divemaster or two. But are they really going on a "vacation" for "free"? Or are they actually there to represent the shop and to do the work such as guiding groups of divers or help liaise with the charter to make sure that things get squared away?

Walk a mile in someone's shoes first before starting the complaints.

Set up a lot of travel for folks...so here's my 2psi...

LDSs are typically more expensive, HOWEVER, you often times get an instructor (or two) who goes along and can sometimes teach additional certs while on the trip.

That being said, you can do the same thing if traveling in a group that just happens to include an instructor. That is what I prefer. I don't like being "tied" to a shop trip because it does sometimes seem like there are a few folks traveling "for free" for which everyone is is making up the cost.

Also, there is nothing the LDS can set up that you can't set up in this internet age. Didn't used to be that way (at least not without a lot of work on the traveler's part). I am surprised that the internet hasn't completely put travel agents out of business.

The overwhelming benefit is when your "agent" is also a "guide" who accompanies you on the trip. This is OFTEN the case for LDSs, so you benefit from that.

SO, there's a couple pros and cons...

We were just quoted a price for a trip next year that our LDS is taking. In general, are the prices a little higher because some of what we pay will go towards the LDS's way? Is this a common practice or are the prices we pay actually discounted?

It totally depends on how your LDS does it. There is no right or wrong. And it should only take you a few minutes internet research to figure out if it is marked up or not. It's your personal preference whether any services they provide are worth any markup. We've taken 11 foreign dive trip over the past 6 years, all arranged by ourselves. We like the freedom to pick the dates, lodging, dive operator, etc. we want, and would rather not travel in a group. But under certain circumstances I'd also have no problem going on a LDS sponsored trip.

The 8th or 10th person getting a free trip from the resort is not unusual and is often published by certain resorts. If you don't like your LDS (or other group organizer) getting that benefit you are always free to find 7 people yourself and either taking that benefit or splitting it among the group. Many day charters also do something similar.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom