LDS sponsored trips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I come down somewhat in the middle of this. Most shops charge between $50 and $200 pp extra for a trip over what you can typically do it yourself for. They also get 1 free shot for every so many people. Typically it's one free room space for every 9 travelers, some more and some less, some includes the diving other don't. Is it worth it, yes and no. Setting up the trip is fairly easy once you have done it a time or 2. I set up trips to Boniare every year and it takes all of 10 minutes to do initially (most of which is friendly banter and greeting) and then a few more calls or emails as time goes by. The LSD is not on the hook for much money either, at least not at the resort, air may be different I never arrange that. It cost me $500 TOTAL to set up a trip to Boniare next April to a major resort, rooms, diving, rental car and breakfast. For the $500 I get to hold as many spaces as I need (I am presently holding 30 spaces). I am getting 1 free spot for every 9 divers that go, the value of which will be spread between all who go, maybe a $50 price reduction. I can add or drop spaces up until 60 days from the trip at no cost to me so I am not on the hook of any money other than the $500 (since I am going, that is just my deposit anyway) as long as I get the room count (and money from the divers) correct by the 60 day limit. I don't consider the "there are instructors going along so you can get more training" to be of any benifet unless you are a new diver and just feel better having an instructor you know along. Sure you can do more training with an instructor you know but at least all I have see also charge for the training so there is no added value. You can just as easily do it back home and not waste valuable vacation time doing it or just pay the instructor there to do it.

Is it worth the extra for a LSD, IMO yes and no. If you have never been to a specific location or want a no effort trip then yea it's most likely worth it. I also like traveling with a group, it's just more fun IMO. On the other hand if you have been to a location before and already have a group then no it's not worth it. I can save $100-200 pp by doing it myself and once you have set up one or 2 its usually fairly easy to do.

As a single diver, I find booking a trip thru my LDS hassle free. All I have to do is pay for the trip attend the pre trip get together and get to the airport. With a group trip it's easier to buddy up before arriving. Should travel issues arise it's the LDS job to address and correct the issue.
For instance, last Feburary I was booked for a week in Coz. then Snowmaggedon hit the east coast closing the airports. The LDS and trip leader worked with the travel agents and got everyone rebooked for the next week, All I had to do was shift my vacation dates. Could I have done the same thing, probably, but it was a hassle I didn't really want to deal with while trying to stay warm with no power.
Does the trip leader get a free trip, sure. But usually it's included, as others have said, in the dive package provided by the travel agent or resort.
My LDS has a few standard trips, the Keys, Bonaire, and Cozumel for example. During these trips generally the same people go every year so it becomes a sorta dive club trip.

Downsides of the LDS trip
1. Usually slightly more expensive
2. You're stuck with the travel agency's Airline and flight arrangements
3. Inflexable dates
4. Some feel obligated to do the group thing
i.e. we're all gonna go to X for dinner or we're all gonna go tour some pile of rocks that
used to be important.

Well, there is another thing to consider. On a group arranged trip, the person from the LDS can expect to be on 24 hour call during a trip. There is the possibility that they will be considered responsible for anything that goes "wrong" on the trip: such as a plane being late, maybe a hotel room not being quite up to snuff, some item of a meal that someone may not like, and they can expect to be a dive master on all the diving that happens. If they get a little money out of this, they are far more than earning it. It is a service.

Also for solo divers, going with a local dive shop trip would probably get you a known quantity in a dive partner and be well worth it just for that.

There are some intangibles with this too. If you get along with the people that go on these trips, you have a ready made social group to go with.

And there are ways of saving money on these trips such as pooling parking expenses, transport, maybe quad occupancy and so on. Sure the LDS may take a cut but you might still come out cheaper than if you went solo.

Besides as many people have said, if you don't want to pay a few more $$, you can arrange your own trip.

Having organized a couple of trips, I feel compelled to defend the LDS. There is a lot of work behind the scenes that goes into setting up travel. The shop has to do some research, identify desirable operators and lodging, check them out for reliability, and book the spaces. There is a considerable amount of money at risk, and people aren't reliable. The trip I organized last year, I had every spot spoken for BEFORE I committed my money to book the ten spaces. Within two months, I was down to three people out of the original ten who had given me their word. I was on the hook for about $10K. I wouldn't be surprised if the LDS adds something to the price to cover the risk of someone backing out and not paying.

In addition, at least with the LDS-organized trip we went on, they facilitated everything. If anything went wrong, they were the ones scurrying around to make it right. If you travel alone to somewhere remote, you'll be the one dealing with the lost reservations or the broken boat or whatever issue comes up, often with no financial recourse other than what you can strongarm out of someone.

Personally, if I want a trouble-free trip where somebody else has taken care of everything, made all the arrangements and is prepared to stand behind what the advertising offers, I expect to pay a bit for all that service.

...completely agree here...I'm into diving, not into logistics (which bore me, tedious) I want someone who's already pioneered the way, spotted all the potholes (do's and don'ts) so I'm not surprised by some upsetting SNAFU onsite or on the way there. I'm trying to reduce the number of things I'll have to learn the hard way, which defeat the entire purpose of a vacation in the first place...if I need stress I'll stay at work for that, it's free there!

I have thought about this a little more since my original post and I have noticed at a couple bigger resorts that people with a big group got a little special treatment so that and if traveling as a group appeals to you you might consider paying for the service the LDS is offering.

I'm personally a self serve kind of person. I don't go to the full serve gas pump or have a valet park my car (if there is a choice). I like to set my own gear get my own tanks. These are all services I'm just not willing to pay for.

If I where going somewhere that needed special visas or security etc then I would also pay for the service of the lds to make arrangements.

One other point that may further explain any price difference is the LDS (or any other group) has to book fairly far in advance and can not easily take advantage of any last minute special discounts.

I've never taken a group trip but one advantage I've noticed is the group is often able to take over one complete boat, meaning they have more control over dive sites, or turning two tank trips into three tanks, departure times (later or earlier), even who their DM is, etc.

LDS don't work for free. They have expenses that they incur.

People are welcome to arrange for their own trips to save a few bucks. That way when things go awry they have nobody to blame but themselves.

I prefer to do my own thing because I don't want to be obligated to spend time with any sort of group. However, if I were to want somebody else to do the thinking for me and to do the dirty work for me, I wouldn't begrudge the LDS charging me for a wee bit more for the work that they put in on my behalf.

I also heard of rumors that certain people get to go for free, usually an instructor/divemaster or two. But are they really going on a "vacation" for "free"? Or are they actually there to represent the shop and to do the work such as guiding groups of divers or help liaise with the charter to make sure that things get squared away?

Walk a mile in someone's shoes first before starting the complaints.

I'm not complaining. As a new diver I'm just trying to learn how things work.

LDS runs trip as a business.They expect to be compensated.Many LDS send an instructor to certify/teach as well as a guide.One advantage is if you are single and go on a trip on your own you pay single occ. rate.If you are on a trip with the LDS then you get a roomie or if there are none the LDS (at least I do) does their best to keep your costs down by working things out with the resort.That alone in the difference of single occ vs dbl can be 30 to 50% difference in cost of the trip.

LDS runs trip as a business.They expect to be compensated.Many LDS send an instructor to certify/teach as well as a guide.One advantage is if you are single and go on a trip on your own you pay single occ. rate.If you are on a trip with the LDS then you get a roomie or if there are none the LDS (at least I do) does their best to keep your costs down by working things out with the resort.That alone in the difference of single occ vs dbl can be 30 to 50% difference in cost of the trip.

They expect to be compensated Really, then why do so many pass on the savings to the divers?

I would believe this statement is why many of us have a problem; well, at least I do.... Since both my wife and I dive, I end up paying twice for everything from trips to equipment. But then its my right to forgo these dive trips... It is also my right to buy strictly from the internet and bypass my LDS all together since I usually pay an up charge along with taxes!

For the most part, all of my purchases are from my LDS but there some exceptions... I am a grown man who is quite capable of arranging my own dive trips as a veteran of 30+ countries. There is no perk for me going with the LDS, none!

As a business, I can see where the LDS is a benefit to those who dive 2-3 times a year as I said in another post... I also see where this is a benefit to the LDS as those divers would be looking for new equipment and new training. I guess your next suggestion would be to arrange my own group trips which would not be a problem for me; you don't believe I would be more than willing to help others especially since they would all be friends or that we would help each other?

I see that you’re an "instructor" who I would expect benefits from these free trips... I guess the next argument will be that if we don't support these LDS with trips and equipment purchases that all of the LDS's will go out of business and where will we get our air??? As long as there are divers there will always be places that provide air... maybe right in my garage!!!

Respectfully,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom