LDS recommendations in Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rlowe

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All, This is my first post!

I am getting back into diving and looking to purchase some gear (Reg, BC). You all recommend any local shops in Austin?

R.

R., my recommendation is Dive World on RR620. For my own and other comments about Austin dive shops, check this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/t56413.html (it actually started as a Memorial Day thread, so you can search on that if the link does not work.) As an addition to that thread, I wish I could remember the name of the shop that ostentatiously donated a 10-refill discount card as a door prize at last year's scuba luau. That's how it was announced from the stage at prize time, with enthusiastic thanks to the shop for participating. Then when the winner opened the envelope, the shop had already checked off nine of the ten refills! So there was only one refill for the price of free publicity for the shop...cheezy, huh?

All of them have hteir ups and downs, and I have dealt with Deep Blue North and South, Scuba Land, Dive Texas, and Dive World, and had good experiences with all. My recommendations is that if you have the opportunity, go to them (if possible) and get a feel for them.

Austin area shops:
Deep Blue Scuba
North:
512 257-0404
13450 Research Blvd Ste. 237B (Bldg in Strip next to the Burger King)(Andersonmill & 183)
Austin, Tx 78750

South:
(512) 326-4344
4006 S Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78704

Clearwater Divers
(512) 452-6990
6215 N Lamar Blvd
Austin, TX 78752

Oak Hill Scuba
(512) 892-4900
6156 W Highway 290
Austin, TX 78735

Scubaland Adventures
North:
2900 W. Anderson Lane Ste. 14 78757
Telephone: (512) 323-6999
South:
3601 W. William Cannon Drive Ste. 850 78749
Telephone: (512) 891-6054

Pisces Scuba
(512) 258-6646
11401 Ranch Rd 2222
Austin, TX 78730

Tom's Dive and Ski
5909 Burnet Rd
Austin, TX 78757-3224
Telephone: (512) 451-3425

Dive World
(512) 219-1220
12112 Ranch Road 620 N
Austin, TX 78750

Dive Texas
(512) 219-8131
6808 N. RR 620
Austin, TX 78732

I have been looking at gear as well and would very much like to buy from a LDS. So far, I have visited Scubaland, Dive World, and Clearwater Divers. My personal favorite with regards to service and knowledge has been Clearwater Divers.

I haven't bought anything yet though, maybe after Memorial Day weekend.

If you go back to Clearwater, tell George hello for me. I've been working at Deep Blue Scuba, or rather, I settled there and called it home after a few years of tromping around the Austin shops. My personal favorite shops are Deep Blue Scuba and Tom's Dive and Ski. I have had excellent service with both.
You are always welcome to dive on our boat and get a feel for the divers there. I professionally will not bad mouth another shop, but will tell you those are the two shops I have enjoyed.
Talk to Ralph or Thom for some serious scuba knowledge and great fits. Thom has way too much experience with sizing. He just has to know your weight and height to get a good fit. It's scary. We will also ask you what type of diving you are doing. You don't want tech gear if your a recreational clear water diver.
If you don't have much experience with gear, I also recommend renting a couple times in different gear to get a feel for how things work for you. I inherited old gear, and learned a lot about getting well fitted gear.
I'll dive with you any time!-good way to beat TX heat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom