LDS pricing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I am not willing to shell out huge amounts extra to support LDS, If possible I prefer to spend my money where I can go talk face to face about any issues that might occur with equipment, and feel that is worth a little extra $'s. YMMV

Where I live (Orange County, CA), there are only 3 dive shops within 30 miles that I actually enjoy going to, of those 3, only 2 I truly don't mind spending money at in the hopes they remain. Wasn't always that way, but shops sell to other owners who now own 5 shops in the radius, other shops close, etc. I find I don't actually feel good about going to most places because the service sucks and if I genuinely need assistance, I've either felt belittled or shrugged except they're happy to take my dollar. In the end, I have no desire to support those local shops and don't care one way or another what happens to them. In reality, it would affect me. Others I might want to dive with may frequent those places and I might be at a disadvantage for a buddy if the locale didn't have many dive shops but I digress...

When I first got certified, I bought into the shops hype that you need to buy from them and not shop online yada yada yada or you're doomed (DOOMED!). I dropped $4k for gear for me, and $4k for my wife, + some $K more for miscellaneous and improvements over the next year. I did get the 10% discount for being a club member. Now I know enough and there are things I won't buy online unless I get the manufacturers warranty (a computer is one, I've had my computer replaced enough times) and other things I'll never use a warranty for anyway so I may as well save money by going online.

While I'd like to keep shops in business, there are only two places around here I would like to stay in business (and they are both struggling) but they never have what I want or can't get it because they aren't an authorized dealer for the gear I want.

The other shops just don't feel friendly to me. A few I'm quite repulsed by. Won't even get free air fills there when given the chance. Since I constantly spend more and more on improving my gear configurations, training, specialties (soon to rebreather and cave), I care more that the shop has good service than whether my local grocery store does but price is becoming very important. Regardless price, I won't purchase from a well-price place that actively repulses me for whatever reason.

In the end, you do what saves you money, gets you a good deal, if the warranty is important to you, make sure you get a bonafied warranty, and feel no regrets. Live life. Don't lose your mortgage over this sport. Save money where you can.

Thanks,
Shawn

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom